need some advice. H22 vs GSR del sol.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

osnap

del slow? not for long.
hey, hondaswappers. i got tired of lurking, so here i am. anyways, the issue at hand:

i love my del sol. i really do. the 102hp aspect, not so much.;)

So ive been trying to do some research recently. Initially I was just looking at dropping a B16 or boosting my D15, but after doing my homework, I'm torn on a completely different issue: B18C1 vs H22 (either way, im going N/A to begin with). here are the factors: im a student, and money is important... installed, a complete GSR will run me about 2k with I/H/E, and a stock H22 will probably be about 2500 installed. im doing all the work, the prices are just meant ot include trans, ecu, mounts, axles, linkages, wiring, and fluids. im not trying to beat everything on the road, i just want some power to play with. my aim is 180+ to the crank to begin with, which is how i ended up with the GSR (with bolt-ons) vs H22 argument.

are the tq numbers of the h22 really worth the extra half grand, considering that this is such a HUGE investment for me? i hear alot of talk about how chunky the H22 is and how its a piece of shit for cornering and all, and the faithful claim that thats nonsense- whats true here? would the h22 be managable with a cf hood, no a/c or p/s, and a light flywheel?

another factor is the difficulty of the install, which is making me lean towards the GSR. the good news is, i have an open shop with air tools to work with (my buddy owns his own shop, so its ours to toy with on the weekends). i know the H22 is a TIGHT squeeze, and that the shift linkage can be a bitch for EGs. B18C1s pretty much drop right in like a B16, though, right? this is my first swap, which is why this factor is even here.

all in all, im just trying to figure out what the best option for me is, and whether or not its worth the extra 500 (a big chunk for me, trust me) for the legendary h-series torque. any EG guys with GSRs or H22s have any input?

also, any general input would be greatly appreciated. all i know is, i cant wait to be able to get on the on-ramp without consciously having to start turning shit off :D

Last edited:
well stock for stock the h will walk it, but if your gona turbo on down the road i would go with the b series there almost bulletproof, if you do the right springs ect ect the h will be fine but it is a heavy motor when i had a h in my hatch it was crapy in turns but the tork in stock trim would slap any stang around that got with in 3 cars of ,me but back to your ?? s its hard to say becuase there both good motors the b will be much easer to swap.but if your wonting to keep it stock the h is the way to go because of all the tork the h has but to keep ac and that stuff you got to fab up some brackets for the h.wile the b you dont.so i guess what it boils down to is if you wont to keep it stock or not, im not talking about bolt on either when i say stock im talking about turbo intenals ext have to be changed before its not stock,,bolt on mods only the h wins in a staight line in a road race with plenty of curves the b wins unless you do the proper springs ect ect

I have had both swaps in a hatch and rode in a k20 del sol. To me it's your choice I'm just a fan of there's no replacement for displacement. So whether on boost, nitrous, or all motor that will come to play, but parts for the h22 to be fast all motor are a little more pricey to me cause you really don't want off the self parts. But peopl will say thats not true but to make 250whp all motor or more out a h22 you will need special order parts, but if on boost I like the h22 or on nitrous better far as stock for stock goes. When it comes to modded each motor has it's ups and downs. For a stock swap the h22 will be best bet for a heavy del sol.

When I was weighing both choices the biggest factory for me was the difficulty of the installation. Once I saw how much work the h22 took to install, since I was doing the swap myself I decided to go the much easier gsr option. It's been easy for me to piece together parts for it, getting it ready for turbo, and thats made me realize there's not as many parts available for a h22 swap as there is b series. Good luck

im happy with my H22 swap :). pulls pretty good but i still need my p28 to be chipped. the reason why i got it is exactly that (torque). i paid $2,050 for motor and lsd tranny and $1,600 for install and parts. its a bit pricey but i like it. no ac or power steering but hey you get used to not having power steering. it just sucks when parking, then you wish you had it. other than that the swap is great.........

Just reading the posts here, I would choose the B18. Ease of installation,half grand still in your pocket,no fat motor hindering agility,powersteering blah blah blah. Drive the b18 awhile and boost it when youre done with school. I was more than happy with my b18c in my sol for two years untill someone recently stole it =/.

if money is an issue then i would go with the gsr. it is easier and you will still have the extra 500 bucks to buy anything more you need for the swap and you will probably have somthing for a few performanse parts

i hate that shitim in school. get a fucking job. jk but seriously the b18b b18c are both great motors. if you are planing on boosting, you could get a ls motor for 1600 and have even more cahs in hand and boost that. but i say any B engine is better than an H for a daily driver, cause of handiling and what not, not ot mention a stock b will get you more power than you can put to the road with a little boosty boost

Back