need some help from fellow math geeks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Jan 23 2004, 11:55 AM
When you did this:

7 = 3r + 8s 7 = 2r + 5s - 2

3r + 8s = 2r + 5s -2
3r - 2r = 5s - 8s - 2
r= -3s - 2

You were ignoring the i and j parts. They are really still there. So you did this:

7i = 3ir + 8is 7j = 2jr + 5js - 2

and 7i =/= 7j
you cant take that step, you have to solve within the respective systems.

Nice job

Originally posted by d2149+Jan 24 2004, 01:04 AM-->
TommyTheCat
@Jan 23 2004, 11:55 AM
When you did this:

7 = 3r + 8s 7 = 2r + 5s - 2

3r + 8s = 2r + 5s -2
3r - 2r = 5s - 8s - 2
r= -3s - 2

You were ignoring the i and j parts. They are really still there. So you did this:

7i = 3ir + 8is 7j = 2jr + 5js - 2

and 7i =/= 7j
you cant take that step, you have to solve within the respective systems.

Nice job

:werd: , marvel at my little mistake :)

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jan 23 2004, 02:15 PM
dont worry dude, thats calc 2/3 shit, calc 1 is stupid easy. just limits taking derivatives and shit, its easy, i swear, lol.

WHOA!

That's exactly what it is, those effing derivatives, and the limits.

Right now we're on area under neath a curve, which is also, very easy. I can't wait to start doing the real math like you guys are doing up there. I'll be there by the time i take my AP exams hopefully.

Im a freshman at MTU, taking calc2 this semester. Going into Mech Eng. (Im at MTU, what else can I do?)

And calculus is used incredibly by scientists and engineers. From a position/time graph we can find instantaneous velocities and accelerations, and vice versa. There would probably be no engineers without calc.

sweet, but whats MTU?

im a freshman at WVU (West Virginia University) in the College of Engineering and Mineral Resources. my major is currently Mech. Engineering, but im changing it to Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering double major. its a little bit more ork, but you get 2 degrees out of it.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jan 24 2004, 07:21 PM
sweet, but whats MTU?

MTU = Michigan Tech University. Plus side, it is a great engineering schools, rated in the top ten. Downside, in the U.P. of michigan and is kinda in the middle of nowhere, plus it is a very small school, with a pretty bad guy to girl ratio :( .

Tommy, I didn't know that you were up there. I got accepted but I dont think i am going to go. Instead, I think I am going to state.

You got all the mtu info right. And I would have gone to state (lived in haslett, 10 min outside of it), but I guess when you apply in november (late?) they'll take kids with a 3.5 gpa and a 24 ACT instead of a kid with 3.2 + 30 ACT. But I'm not bitter that they like having retards in their school...Although I like having 5,000+ students instead of 30,000+. Much better class sizes.

But yeah MTU is in the top five eng. schools, thank you; 2nd-3rd in Mech Eng. Virginia Tech I think is the top, and both of our curriculums always adopt the newest programs first. But there are no women, that's why I have to come home to MSU to party :D .

WVU is up there for its engineering program, dont know where though. but i dont mind having 26,000 students here. the only classes that are big are the science classes. my physics class has like 200, but that class is gravy. my calc 3 class is only like 12 people, lol. engineering is like 70 people, and statics is only like 30.

ive never taken the ACT, Maryland is more of an SAT state. i got 1240 on SAT, what does that translate to in ACT score?

1240 is like a 26 on the ACT's. A 24/25 is the average for HS students, i think. But the diff between a 24-30 act is like 1050-1400...

And since half of our school is eng. (literally, like 60-65%) my physics lecture is about 300. Plus we have a couple of them :ph34r: .

Back