new 911 turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
With 450HP (up from 415HP in the 2004 model) the 2006 Porsche 911 Turbo is expected to hit 60MPH in 3.7 Seconds! Is that enough to keep pace with the 2006 Corvette Z06 (500HP) and Viper SRT-10 (500HP)?

03-10-04-01-2006-Porsche-911-Turbo.jpg

03-10-04-02-2006-Porsche-911-Turbo.jpg

Yeah, it'll probably be enough to keep up with the new Corvette and Viper... it does have the advantage of all wheel drive for 0-60 sprints. :)

:werd:
the new 911 coupe is hott!!

ive only seen 3 in person, ever. 2 have been up here, thanks to a porsche dealer right in town!

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Nov 15 2004, 03:08 PM
ive only seen 3 in person, ever. 2 have been up here, thanks to a porsche dealer right in town!
[post=417166]Quoted post[/post]​

911s or GT3s? 911s are a dime a dozen here in Houston.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 15 2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it'll probably be enough to keep up with the new Corvette and Viper... it does have the advantage of all wheel drive for 0-60 sprints. :)
[post=417057]Quoted post[/post]​

That means that from the flywheel to the wheels, more power is going to be lost.

The rwd as long as its not wet out or inclement weather, should allow for traction just as good as the AWD.

I don't think it will keep up with the viper and it may keep up with the new vette...i dont know if it will keep up with the z06 though. It will be close either way.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle+Nov 15 2004, 03:21 PM-->
turbos. ive seen one gt3.
[post=417181]Quoted post[/post]​

Ah, ok. I see turbos every day...

New2TheCarScene
@Nov 15 2004, 03:58 PM
That means that from the flywheel to the wheels, more power is going to be lost.
The rwd as long as its not wet out or inclement weather, should allow for traction just as good as the AWD.
I don't think it will keep up with the viper and it may keep up with the new vette...i dont know if it will keep up with the z06 though. It will be close either way.
[post=417200]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, more will be lost- but it has a deep torque curve down low and you can still launch harder on dry pavement with AWD compared to RWD. If RWD was every bit as good as AWD on dry pavement, why do Eclipse GSXs get the jump on F-bodies all the time?

And who exactly gives a shit about 0-60 times of a Porsche? Anyone who buys the car to go drag racing in should be destroyed!

On another note, it is good to see Porsche going back to round headlights.....much better than the amoeba-looking headlights :D

Yes, more will be lost- but it has a deep torque curve down low and you can still launch harder on dry pavement with AWD compared to RWD. If RWD was every bit as good as AWD on dry pavement, why do Eclipse GSXs get the jump on F-bodies all the time?
[post=417243]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm sure that the corvette and viper probably have a deeper torque curve down low being larger displacement engines....although I could be wrong because the forced induction helps to even things out.

And the answer why GSXs get the jump on F bodies all the time is because F bodies are making far more torque thats going to make the tires spin much harder and for traction to be more of an issue. A GSX only makes 210hp if its a second generation and around the same numbers in torque, F bodies depending on the year on in the high 200's to mid 300's. That may have been a bad example but still, i dont think very much is lost in traction issues launching in RWD versus AWD. AWD is obviously far better for handeling but I dont think theres a huge difference in the launches in an awd car versus a rwd car.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Nov 15 2004, 10:21 PM
And who exactly gives a shit about 0-60 times of a Porsche? Anyone who buys the car to go drag racing in should be destroyed!

On another note, it is good to see Porsche going back to round headlights.....much better than the amoeba-looking headlights :D
[post=417427]Quoted post[/post]​

Ha, funny...I was thinking the same thing in regards to both of those statements.

Round headlights > any other. It helps make the traditional European look of the car.

Porsche on a road course > any other racing in a porsche. Its not meant for the strip, its meant for speeds on the autobahn.

awd owns....a 240sx has roughly the same power as a subaru wrx. how come the wrx jumps off the line??

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Nov 15 2004, 11:03 PM
I'm sure that the corvette and viper probably have a deeper torque curve down low being larger displacement engines....although I could be wrong because the forced induction helps to even things out.

And the answer why GSXs get the jump on F bodies all the time is because F bodies are making far more torque thats going to make the tires spin much harder and for traction to be more of an issue. A GSX only makes 210hp if its a second generation and around the same numbers in torque, F bodies depending on the year on in the high 200's to mid 300's. That may have been a bad example but still, i dont think very much is lost in traction issues launching in RWD versus AWD. AWD is obviously far better for handeling but I dont think theres a huge difference in the launches in an awd car versus a rwd car.
[post=417445]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, so the more powerful 911 turbo will still get the jump off the line compared to the more power Viper and Vette too. :p :lol:

And yes, drag racing 911s is stupid.

fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap fwap
[grabs a tissue]

Originally posted by Iron 1@Nov 15 2004, 11:19 PM
awd owns....a 240sx has roughly the same power as a subaru wrx. how come the wrx jumps off the line??
[post=417455]Quoted post[/post]​

A lot obviously has to do with the suspension setup and then as soon as the car starts moving the gearing.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Nov 15 2004, 11:48 PM-->
@Nov 15 2004, 11:19 PM
awd owns....a 240sx has roughly the same power as a subaru wrx.  how come the wrx jumps off the line??
[post=417455]Quoted post[/post]​

A lot obviously has to do with the suspension setup and then as soon as the car starts moving the gearing.
[post=417478]Quoted post[/post]​

or...awd...

Back