New to HondaSwap and have a few questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wookie_In_a_B16

Greetings all. Been reading up on this site for a few months now and decided to introduce myself. First of all my name is Steev, live in central Florida, and i'm driving a EJ2 with a Sir II motor. Basically, when i'm trying to get out of the car is a high 12 mid 13 sec daily driver. Eventually going to turbo.

Now a few questions:

Right now the only mods I have done to it are a AEM CAI, 2.25 exhaust, stage 2 clutch, and spark plug wires(whoo!). I'm looking to get some more power out of it. I've already got a header planned out. Either a ITR or DC 4-1. But what would be the next logical step? Camshafts? Cam gears? Anything else? I've got around 500$ to use on it at the moment.

Also, how well, do the AEM bypass valves work? Because, I recently had to replace the b16a due to hydrolocking and i'm scared as all hates to drive it in any kind of rain. Cant go through another engine.

Also, on a side note, I'll more than likely ask questions a LOT. But I will search first and will try to help whenever I can. Thanks for the help! :)

the bypass valves work pretty well, but id still avoid big puddles, you never know what will happen.

gsr or itr cams would be a good upgrade, and if you just go with the gsr cams, you can usually use your stock valvetrain (unlike the itr/ctr route). You can usually find GSR cams for under $150 on ebay, thats more than enough left over to get a fairly decent header.

Awesome thanks! Would I have to get both shafts and gears? Or just the shafts? Any round-about est of how much hp it would give? Also, any certain year I should look for or are they all interchangeable?

Also, i've heard a lot about valave train work, but sadly, I have no idea what it is really. I've heard Skunk2 offers a lot of stuff in that area, but what would I get out of upgrading the valvetrain and what would I need?:D

Last edited:
as far as i know gsr cams from 94-01 are all the same profile. you shouldnt need new came gears either as most of the be series components are interchangable (i did say most, not all).

With new cams and a tuned ecu youd probably get a 10-15 hp bump up, so itd definitely be worth it

Honestly- if you're looking to go turbo later, I would just save the $500 and start shopping for turbo parts. If you buy a header or cams that are well suited for an all motor car, you're just going to throw them away later.

The GSR cams will help you with a turbo though- they're the most popular B series cams for a turbo setup. A header will just get tossed when you turbocharge too, so stay away from that unless you just think it's going to be a really LONG time before you're able to boost the car.

Back