New to the turbo.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleeper88

My mom thinks i'm cool
Hi, i wasn't going to turbo my car until next winter/spring but i changed my mind. I'm relatively new to the turbo scene. The motor is a jdm b16a1, darton sleeved, 9.5:1 je pistons,crower rods,arp studs,skunk2 valve train,adjustable cam gears,lsd tranny, 6 puck clutch lighten flywheel,header back exhaust and its in a 88 civic hatch. I want to get the most out of this motor without destroying it. So far i'm getting a skunk2 intake manifold, skunk2 70mm throttle body,skunk2 turbo cams. I'm not sure on turbo, i dont know which ones are the best and which can push 30 psi. i want to get the hondata s300 but i think i have to change over the obd1 instead of obd0, i dont know what kind of wastegate or blow off valve(i dont know which are good and which ones are bad.I'm not sure on intercooler size, not sure with turbo size if i should get a slim radiator b/c of the space. I got the car with a downpipe with cat which i think will work but not sure until i get the turbo. i know i will have to upgrade suspension but i'm more worried about the motor right now. I think all the stuff i mention is all the easy stuff so if i missed a lot of the hard stuff i'd be very happy. if you guys could help me on anything else i missed. Remember i'm pretty new to turbos. Thank you for your time and knowledge

how much can you spend and what kinda power are you looking for...your engine is already about as good as it gets, now just get into power goals and budget and we can probably put together a parts list

Geez B...im trying to make up for 2 and a half years of not being here...quit posting so much. thirty-eight thousand posts is hard to catch up to.

I'm looking at 25-30 psi, not sure if i will go over 25 tho. I'm willing to get the best product out there,i'm not going to buy everything at once, i dont have the money to do that right now, but i want to best and to put out the most without brakeing, lets say i want to do it right. I'm hoping to get 400-450 hp out of this motor, if i could get more that would be great. i know the motor could handle 30 psi but i think that is pushing it.

still, you missed the point. psi is pretty much meaning less when it comes down to it.

regardless if your motor can hold it, theres no ready to use map sensor that can read it. you're going to have to tread on 5-bar territory, and next to nothing supports a 5-bar map.

Other problem is a T28 at 30psi will not net you as much HP as a GT3071 at 30 psi...as b said, psi is a meaningless number without a HP goal.

like b said above.....

set a goal for HORSEPOWER/TQ not "psi" the "psi" you run is a biproduct of the power you acheive through tuning (adding fuel/adj timing/cam gear adjustments/adding boost etc etc etc) while shooting for your horsepower goal

i can run 30psi on a sleeved ls with 7 to 1 compression and make not near the power as you would with say a sleeved 2.0 lsvtec with 9 to 1 compression... psi is meaningless...

running "30psi" to say you run "30psi" is rice and stupid :lame:

If you are looking for a 30psi 400-450 im gonna say a LARGE T3/04E or a GT3071(R if you want to lower the spool point)...that will put you right at the edge of the turbos efficency and probably net you the HP you want.

Thank you for what turbo i should get, but has any of you guys put a turbo in such a small place, there is not a whole lot of room between the block and radiator. How much does a manifold+turbo stick out.what size injectors should i get. again i need a lil more help on this subject besides what kinda turbo to use(and i thank you guys on that), like i asked in my first post.thank you

Back