new(used) car...need opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

hey guys, i am thinking about getting a new (actually used, cant afford new) and selling my civic. I want to hear your opinions on what car i should get(include tech reasons). dont bother suggesting cars that can't handle; my preference are cars that are good for autocross and mild rallying. Fuel economy is also an issue. Budget is around 19k I dont know how to do the poll thing so im not even bothering with that. My choices are:

JDM 96-00 ITR (moving to malaysia in couple of years)
'03 Sentra SE-R
'96 Sentra GXE
'02 Subaru Impreza WRX(if i can find a good used one)
+93 Honda Accord coupe
'02 Ford Focus SVT
'93 Eagle Talon TSi
Toyota T100 or Tundra

ITR....solid car, handles very nicely. the power is nice also. you get tons of respect and they are rare.....IMO ITR

WRX for sure. You can't beat AWD turbo for rally/autocross. One of its main problems is the tranny. If you dump the cluctch at idle alot, or drag race it alot, the tranny probably won't hold up. It's fine for daily driving and autocross/rally though.

My fuel economy is awesome, even after the ECU reflash by Vishnu. It gets 20/27 mpg stock, and I'd guess 18/25 with the reflash.

You can for sure pick up an '02 WRX for $19k or less. I'll even bet that you can get a slightly modded '02 with 20k miles for $19k. Couple of guys in my area (Denver) have gotten a sweet deal.

240 :) not really rally ideal but I am sure it can handle some.

forget the Tsi, you will have the car down more than running,

honest answer i would go with teh WRX

Originally posted by Magik@Dec 19 2003, 09:15 AM
Suburu...number one rally car in the world... :)

Jason

badass car f0 sh0!
but if im not mistaken... Peugeot has been whopping the ass off Subaru for a few years now

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Dec 19 2003, 03:35 PM-->
@Dec 19 2003, 09:15 AM
Suburu...number one rally car in the world... :)

Jason

badass car f0 sh0!
but if im not mistaken... Peugeot has been whopping the ass off Subaru for a few years now

subaru has just beaten the peugeot with the sti~i think this is the first year they won overall.

the wrx is really nice, i like the new sti better but cant afford that. the only real problem is there arent much subarus around here(ive seen two sti's, and maybe three or four of the wagons. there are also rumors around here that the subarus break down easily), so its kind of hard to find one where you dont have to travel to another state.
Even though its hard to find around here, i still want one. I am debating between the ITR, SE-R, and the WRX. Ive seen fwd cars rally, its pretty nice but not as fast as the awd cars.
-If i get the ITR, i can get a whole bunch of parts cheap; hook ups, etc.(very plentiful, plus i plan on going turbo). Problem is it cost around $16500 to bring to the US.
-The SE-R is pretty bad ass from the factory. Only mods i can think of for the SE-R is lightening, i/h/mc/e and maybe some nicer wheels, i dont know much parts for the Nissan but im sure Stillen has something to make it go fast.
-The WRX already has turbo so I dont need to go messing around too much, but i hear performance parts are expensive for it, and one of the mods i've seen for the subaru flat-fours is individual runner exhaust manifolds, which i havent found yet on the internet. --BTW i had also consider a Peugeot 306 instead of WRX, but decided against it.
Thanx guys.

JDM 96-00 ITR (moving to malaysia in couple of years) Good luck finding one.

'03 Sentra SE-R ...Get a Spec V if you go this route. the downside is the car is too heavy and doesnt rev out very far (redline at 6100 rpm) The QR25DE is a very quarky engine. 100 mm bore and an 86 mm stroke...it is weighed down by the balancer in the engine to keep itself from vibrating itself to death.

But...it's a torquey little fucker (180 ft lbs at 4000 rpm)... the V has a fucking BADASS LSD with a 6 speed manual with double silicone synchros per gear. That transmission was FUN AS FUCK to shift... (I drove an 04 V for 11 days) :D

'96 Sentra GXE ... :no: Just...weak...

'02 Subaru Impreza WRX(if i can find a good used one) :yes: :yes: :yes: WR Blue Pearl 5 speed.... me --> :worthy:

+93 Honda Accord coupe good car I guess...

'02 Ford Focus SVT Not too torquey, it has 170 hp and a nice as hell 6 speed manual along with NICE 5 spoke 17" rims. It is great competition to any other sport compact under $20k out there. (except the SRT4...fuckin' Dodge) :p

'93 Eagle Talon TSi :no: :no: :no: I've heard nothing but horror stories.

Toyota T100 or Tundra A truck? um...ok, if you need a truck... :shrug2:

ok ive been searching for a wrx, cant find any near to where i live(found one on cars.com for about 17k but its about 500miles away). found two jdm ITRs, a '00 for 17k and a '96 for 12k from j-garage.com, and they take requests, but i rather have a '98 spec itr. found '03 sentra se-r spec v for around 13k. hmmm. as of right now i would go for the se-r but im going to wait about a year to get some more money, and maybe prices on the wrx's will go down and be more available. back to the civic. thanks for feedback guys.

19K?

I think you shold toss your list and rethink a new one

01-02 IS300 "in a year or two you will find them in the 18-19K area"

00-01 A4 V6/I4 W/ Quattro I've found 01s for 15K at a dealership with low miles
98-99s go for 8-12K in local ads that leaves you a lot of money to buy some 18s as with tons of other mods

00-01 S4 you can find them for 22-23K right now if you look around. They also just replaced the S4 with a newer model so the value will drop in the next few months in 1-2 years is should be in the high teens 250HP, AWD, and FULLLLLLLY loaded!

You could get a sweet M3 or newer normal model 3 series BMW

the M3 Roaster blue books for 19-21K right now for the 98 model
RWD 240HP 3.2L inline 6 with 236lbft @ 3800 RPM 14.1 1/4 mile and 0-60 in 5.78
can some one say Auto X car? =)

19k on loan**, 4k down.
plus i want to be able to buy a few performance parts after purchase. although your list does sound tempting, insurance may be high(im still in school); i used to want all of those cars before(cept the m3 roadster, id rather for a coupe, and the is300)

my insurance is cheaper on my 96 A4 then it was for my 95 DX civic....

and I put money on it that an A4/IS300 2000-2001 would be cheaper to insure then a WRX

its worth looking into www.autopro.com
p.s I would call 1-800-auto-pro they give me a much better quote over the phone
plus now I get 5% off my bike insurance =)

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 20 2003, 04:45 PM
my insurance is cheaper on my 96 A4 then it was for my 95 DX civic....

if you dont mind me asking, how much do you pay? mine right now is about $700 for '96 civic, same for my sister's '93 accord.

It's not on your list, but...

Buy my '99 Si! It'll be for sale in the next month or so & it won't cost you $19K! It's really nice... :)

I'll buy your 99 Si if you come with it.

:ph34r:

Back