new winter tires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey, my front 2 tires are gettin a lil slick, however; my back 2 are fine and have plenty of tread. Well, i want to get 2 new front ones for the winter (in the spring ill be throwin on new rims/tires). My current tires are 185/65/r14...i want to upgrade my 2 front tires to 205-215, leavin my back tires at 185. My dad said this is will create traction problems. Should i just get 185s in the front to match my back tires, or will i be better gettin the 205-215s?

for starters were do you live ?? If you're in a climate that gets alot of snow and ice I'd look into a set of blizzacks and just stick with the same tire width all around.

i live in north dakota..we get a lot of snow..we just got out first snow fall, about 2 inches. but it mostly ice thats up here, i heard blizzacks are really good winter tires. I wont be driving my car around that much,..jus back and forth to work (about 1 mile @ 30 mph). So i just want something that will get me around, like i said..as soon as snow melts, im gettin rims and new tires anyway.

with snow tires, the trick is to find the skinnest tires you can find that will fit on your wheels. The skinner, the better you will cut through the snow. I would stick with your orginal size. As for just getting 2, what type of tires do you have in the rear? If they are summer tires (azenies, most kumhos, ect) good luck. Although your rear of the car does nothing in forward movements or never comes out in the rear, when you have a shit load of traction in the front (either all seasons or snow tires) and then summer tires in the back, the second you go to turn, your back end will wip out. Last year, my car was so rear bias, I would come into my schools rear parking lot that the storm drain would always back up resulting in the entire rear lot being one large sheet of ice. I would come in, turn the wheel maybe 20 degrees. My back end out whip out, and I would do 4-5 spins. Fun yea, but for normal driving, it sucked and was extremly dangerous. Make sure you know how to counter steer :ph34r:

As for the blizzacks, I havn't tested my pair in anything more then some slush (my azenies were sliding all over so I threw them on) are pretty nice, however, when there is no snow, they suck balls. Right now, its raing out so no snow. When I do anything more then a gental rolling start, the tires squeal like a pig, even when I am not accelerating fast, when you brake on water, the tires lock up so quick, and when you turn, you either get a shit load of tire roll over, your car plows to the outside, or all the above.

i got new tires today...yea, i got some 185/65. They match my rear tires, my rear are all season..so i should be good. Thanks for tha advice though.

Back