Newbie but willing to learn

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WildChild

Hello everybody, I like to introduce myself. My name is Eric and I live in dville, Georgia. I currenttly only have minor knowledge to import cars. Just your basic routine maintnace is about all I have done. I own a 99 civic ex like everbody else and there moma (no offensive if you own one). I am sick and tired of driving around town and seeing ricers with civics roaring around with there catback thinking there cool.Blah, blah, blah.So I am going to sell and get a del sol + I really want one. Im almost done paying off my car and I plan on sellin it, buying a blown del sol si(if i can find at all), swapping, going n/a and building it. My civic has about 75,000mi, routinely maintained, i/h/e, and body is in great shape. I figure i should be able to get 8500. What do you guys think?

Finally for my real question :sleep:
I need to find out what engine to get for my 93 sol. By the way is that 4th gen.? I read in swaping 101, to get a motor with the same 0bd. Which would be 0bd1 right? So i guess my choices would be B16A SiR II, B16A3, B17A1, B18A1, B18B1, B18C SiR-G, B18C1, and B18C3. All those I believe are obd1. Which one does you guys recomend? 9000 is my cash limit. My uncle a 30 year master mechinic will be helping me.O, check out this badd ass B20bblock and b16 pr3 head delsol video. This car kind of inspired me. How hard would this swap be and how much perforamnce gain would i get compared to the others. I am really intrested. info about this del sol click here.

*EDIT*That $9,000 is when i sell and extra cash. Thanks guys for reading and its great to be a memeber ;) *EDIT*

Originally posted by allbottledup@Jul 5 2004, 05:16 PM
if you want a sol that bad buy offsol like the thread shows. Thats one bad ass car.

he said his limit was 9k not 20k

The sol is apart of the 5th gen civic catigory.

Really, I do not recommend the b18a1 or the b17a1, even in the OBD1 verson simply because the transmission is a Cable tranny. To put this into your car, you need to buy a whole conversion kit from Hasport, which is 600 or so, and then you still have an engine that is 11+ years old.

As far as engines goes, there is not one defent choice. Do you want to do internals? What kind of driving are you into? Drag racing? AutoX? RoadCourse? Just fast Daily driver?

Turbo is really the way to go if you want a REALLY fast car, however, because of the nature of turbo's and the whole disavantage of being a FWD car, a turbo is a horrible route if your into Road racing or autocross.

A good starter engine is a b18b. Its GREAT for turbo, realivly cheap, and can be built to go extremly fast, even if you keep it NA.

For NA, b16 pistons, VTEC oilpump, Eagle Rods, Crower 404 Cams, Crower valve springs and retainers, a good PnP job, New Intake manifold, good Header, Hondata or Greddy EManage, and b16a2/b16a3 tranny or ITR tranny, and you'll be making tons of power, for not alot of money.

For Turbo, really, just a small turbo kit with an intercooler, and some kind of engine management, and you'll have a very fast car.

the odb of the del sol will depend on the year 93-95 is odb1 and 96 and up is odb2.like they said to choose the best set up you have to know what you want out of it. drag,autoxx...

ok, well this will be daily driven car. to work and back and cruising around town on fri & sat. althougth pissedoffsol's car is impressive. i would like to gain experince with my own swap and build. I know I asked your opionions about the b series engines. but i' ve been reading a lot about the crvtec swap. what's your guys opionens on this setup? How hard is it? the block is ob2, is this what i would have to convert to and how diffcult is it. My uncle like I said is a 30 year mechanic and im sure he could install this setup. I sure as hell could'nt do it by myself. i want to go n/a and build it. pistons, rods,wrist pins, valve train, camshafts, valaves, tranny,mani, i/h/e, etc. no goal in mind just a fast car. And is a hydro tranny better then a cable? whats in my civic have a cable tranny.

thanks again

You have a hydraulic tranny. I'd forgo building up my first motor, and just swap in a good one to start, then build on it from there. IMO it would be better because if you have never done a swap, you'll find there can be issues arise that can be compounded by a built motor. But if you have the time and money to try it out, go for it.

GSR or ITR motor would be IMO the best place to start.

I think really the only problem is finding a blown sol. i have maybe seen two in my county. anyone knows where i can get one near georgia would be awesome. back to the swap. i think it will be good experince. i have learned a lot from trial and error. still taking suggestions. and still researching b20b/ b16 head combo. a vtec on steroids. thad would be sweet.92b16vx, what kind of issues are you talking about. like installing issues?

yea i might go with with the b20/gsr head instead of the b16.any more suggestion would be great. stuuf to watch out for while swapping, building, changing heads. whatevere you can come up with. thanks very much

just get pills' sol that i posted in the link .... its in the price range you want and already has a well built LS/VTEC in it that is putting out some very good numbers

what happens when something breaks with the aftermarket parts or anything. i wont be able to diagnotic it and sure i could have my uncle look at it. but, he doesn't know whats been built in the motor. and how many times am i going to take to my uncle like a rich kid with money. scenario (hey kid what you runnin. duhhh vtec swap with turbo. why did you choose to go with those cam gears instead of this). se what i mean. want the knowledge, experince, and to know the theory behind it all. not trying to be a dick. just want to be knowledgable like you guys. peace!

Back