Newbie Here Tranny question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91 FL Hatchie

Alright guys great to be here on this awesome sight, alot of info. I just purchased a 1991 ED6 hatch, with a swap it does have the d15B1 engine and on the tranny it has L3 1505031. My question is that the L3 is a 5-speed right, well i only can shift into 4 gears. Can the previous owner not switch the shift linkage or something i am stumped, the axle is blown and so are the seals so i need to know what parts to get,please help thanks pix will follow

you may have to rebuild the trans...which gears can you get into? do the four gears you can get into include reverse? i can provide exploded diagrams for you but i dont know if you feel like attempting a trans re-build. chances are you have something bent in the trans. as to the axles, you can always take them with you and match them up at the auto parts. you'll need to for the core anyways. you can do this with the axle seals too

i shift into all four gears and reverse no problem i have been driving for about two weeks. so it has nothing to do with the shifter linkage. i rather buy another tranny (they are cheap here in central fl) and drop it in

yeah it sounds like thats the way to go. i dont know what your area shops ould charge for a rebuild but you would get the thing done right...hopefully. but hopefully you can get a trans with nothing wrong for cheaper too. i agree with you that its not your linkage but your trans. good luck

sounds to me like it has a 4-speed transmission - the 4-speed transmission is also L3 - is the car the STD model? - STD model came from the factory with D15B1 and 4-speed transmission

if the car is truly a STD model, you will need axles for the 88-91 Civic STD or 88-91 CRX HF due to the smaller 23 spline hubs - 88-91 DX/Si/LX/EX all have larger 26 spline hubs - axle seals at the transmission are the same for all 88-91 L3 transmissions, except for the JDM ZC L3 which uses larger axles

in addition to the smaller hubs, some of the other ways to identify a STD are:
black panel between tail lights
no rear wiper
no passenger side mirror
usually, no tach
close coupled cat in the exhaust - cat bolts directly to exhaust manifold - O2 sensor comes out of top of manifold, pointing straight up
usually, no console - just boot at shifter

Last edited:
i believe you are right jlicrx i must have a STD it has all the things you said, i needed the smaller axles there is a black panel between tail lights no rear wiper no tach, no console just boot,i do have pass mirror i didn't know The STD is also L3, so i must have 4-spd i thought i can find 3 shift positions on top. but i could be wrong, the ECU is pm5 so is that the right one. if i do have 4-spd what 5-spd can i drop in any help would be greatly depreciated thanks daryl

i know previous owner did tell me it was a 5 spd. i will have to give him a call tomorrow.

Back