Nitrous! Yes Or No

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be savin up for a turbo setup.

my opnion on nitrous. i ran a 90shot on a stock d16y7 for a whole year and never had a problem i pulled the motor and sold it and it still gets abused every day. my best time was a 14.0 with a sliping clutch and a si trans by the way that was in a 97 hatch. nitrous can be the devil if you are un educated and just spray you need to know what detonation is and when to let out and i would also recomend making a dyno run with you n2o and see how it is runing. most people just bolt on and spray and then later that night they are calling a tow truck then the hate nitrous. if you turbo your car do you just bolt it on ad go. why no you dont.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Jul 30 2004, 07:05 PM
That's $300 towards a turbo kit. What about the cost of refilling bottles? Your car will also be slow unless your sqeezing. Turbo > Nitrous :p
[post=370546]Quoted post[/post]​

my car is not by any means slow....without nitrous....its simply not as fast as it will be with it...and three hundred dollars would not buy the manifold i would want to run if i turboed my car.....dollar for dollar u cannot compare the nitrous kit i have to any turbo setup

Sorry to break this to you, but an h22 accord with basic bolt-ons isn't going to be fast. What do you run in the 1/4 with and without nitrous? Last time at the track my buddy ran a 14.6 @ 92 mph in his girlfriends built h22 hatch. He is just breaking the motor in N/A before he installs the turbo kit. That's slow and I am guessing your accord isn't going to be faster than that without nitrous. Nitrous can be fun I guess, but dollar for dollar you can't beat a good custom turbo kit. Like I said before your car will only be fast when your sqeezing and refilling bottles everyday will add up.

your a fuckin tool dude, i swear to god your on this forum to argue and only to argue and talk about ur "great" cheap turbo setup....News flash dipshit I DONT GIVE A FUCK!!!! and if you take the time to reread my post instead of instantly jumping on anything to argue about i said my car is not slow, never stated it was fast, just that it is not slow as you previously stated it would be without nitrous. Go fuck yourself, and while your at it do the world and this forum a facvor and put a bullet in your head

What's wrong am I being too honest for you? You say a turbo kit can't compare to your $300 nitrous kit, well I gave you a few examples why it's not so great... slow when not sqeezing and refilling bottles adds up fast. I don't know too much about nitrous, but I am guessing you can't tune it as well as a turbo setup. I am also guessing the turbo kit will make more power "safely" than a nitrous kit would (safe being the key word here). Call me whatever you want, but I'm not bull shitting or making anything up. I am telling you why I think a turbo kit would be the best way to go and I backed it up with examples. What's wrong with talking about my cheap turbo kit? I am just trying to educate people that might think turbocharging their car will cost a lot. I'm just replying to what you said, just like your replying to what I said. There's no reason to get pissed off lol.

nitrous can be tuned just fine. Assuming your crank doesn't snap, the ~amount of nitrous you can run is 50% of whatever your crank hp is with good tuning. With really great tuning you can run upto 75% of whatever your crank HP is. Unlike boost, n2o isn't as CR reliant. A plus about nitrous is that MY CAR isn't always under the added stresses and pressures of FI. It only gets beat on when i say so. Makes for a more "streetable" vehicle. power on demand. No offense man, but a "built h22" in a hatch runnin 14.6's? Thats pretty sad. Either homey couldn't drive, or couldn't tune, or had hella low compression which = no power. If my H22 hatch EVER runs a 14.5+ its gettin blown the fug up.

My car being turbocharged isn't always under pressure. I can drive around town all day and not boost if I don't want to (just be light on the throttle). It's only under added pressure when I am ripping on it (WOT).

What are you talking about power on demand with nitrous? Your saying it's not like that with a turbo? I have power anytime I want and I will never run out of it. What happens when you pull up next to some car that wants to race and your out of juice? You going to tell him to wait there while you go fill the bottle up? I dunno I guess I will just never like nitrous. Oh and the H22 does have lower compression pistons, my buddy can drive and tune just fine.

well, the low CR pistons explain the not great times. i personally like nitrous. but thats me. although i am rather impressed with your dyno numbers on the D16, could you perhaps send me dyno sheets or link me to them? I like boost, dont get me wrong, but i know if i went down that avenue, ida done somethin stupid huge. like HaSport did with their hatch. i dont like doing things "little" so ida gone overboard and lost my drivability. i might do a turb vehicle soon. or maybe a v8. who knows. my tag says "NO BOOST" on the hatch. lol

I think turbo lag is way overrated. I get a full 10 psi a little before 4000 rpms? I don't really pay too much attention. I have good struts/springs, quaife LSD, and drag radials and I can tell you though if my car spooled 1000 rpms faster I would have a hard time with traction, launching would be much harder, driving in the rain would be almost impossible, freeway driving wouldn't be as easy either. Honda motors make all their power at high rpms so I see nothing wrong with a turbo that has a little lag, but very good top end.

For a complete greddy kit it's going to cost you $2,000+ with intercooler and bov, the edlebrock kit is a joke at $3,000+ for everything. Even if you can't weld/fabricate you will still be saving money by going custom and paying somebody to do it for you. There is a difference between junkyard/homemade setups that are thrown together just for fun and the setup I have. Most homemade setups are thrown together with parts people find laying around. I took my time in choosing parts and they were all brand new. It can be as reliable as you want it to be (just depends on how much effort you put into it). Good fuel management and tuning is a huge part of reliability, picking good quality parts is also a factor. I would say my car is very reliable seeing as I rape the shit out of it everyday and it's been running awesome for 6 months lol. I have put many miles on it including long road trips. The only things I have broke were 1 tranny and 2 axles, but they were my fault for driving like a dumbass.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Aug 5 2004, 03:28 AM
for some reason i only see the time slip

You have to click on the honda-tech link for info about my setup (pics and dyno sheet).

Back