1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no boost in first?

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by lickety_slickjj, Nov 25, 2006.

1. lickety_slickjj

lickety_slickjj Junior Member

i can't get boost in first gear, it is a t/4 xs power turbo on a d16z6? any ideas?

2. CoreyR

CoreyR Senior Member

because the turbo is too large for your motor, theres not enough load in 1st and it doesnt produce enough exhaust energy to spool it. why did you put a t4 turbo on a d series anyways?

3. TheManRSW

TheManRSW TheManRSW

Should have gone with a smaller turbo...I know people who are running a t3/t4 with a d16z6 and they don't seem to have trouble, but then again their engine isn't exactly stock. How much boost are you trying to push?

4. spoolin@idle

spoolin@idle D Series FTL

xs power t4 eh

let me guess. you were searching for turbos on ebay and you went with the biggest one for the least amount of money. alright. this is something everybody should know.

Ebay XS Power / SS AutoCrap turbos ARE GARBAGE. Their seals are practically blown out of the box, and I'll almost me damn certain that you did not prime the turbo before the initial startup after you installed the setup.

BUY A GOOD TURBO from cheapturbo.com or atpturbo.com or full-race.com and throw away that garbage dispenser.

1 person likes this.
  5. raidmax

raidmax New Member

I agree 100%

I just bought a 93 Prelude with a ebay XS Power turbo kit and I've had nothing but problems. My manifold cracked all to hell, and my turbo leaks oil (oil comes out my exhaust and goes all through intercooler pipes).

6. spoolin@idle

exactly. your seals are fuuuuuuucked.

7. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

this kid speaks the truth.

8. lickety_slickjj

first of all, thank you for the info. and the turbo was on the car when i traded my screwed up hatch for it. and i am looking to get a new turbo, (a smaller one), because it doesn't do much for me unless i am on the highway and hallin ass. so if i get a different turbo, would i have to get a whole new set up? manifold intercooler piping,etc..? and the motor isn't completely stock, it has been totally rebuilt with vitara low compression pistons, but with stock rods and crankshaft. oh yeah, i am only running 8 psi.

9. lickety_slickjj

sorry, just wanted to add that i also have oil all over in my intercooler piping!!!!!!!

10. spoolin@idle

you won't need a new manifold as long as you buy a turbo that has the same T3 bolt pattern, which is very widely used. you may need to modify the piping SLIGHTLY but not much at all. you've got oil in your intercooler piping most likely because your turbo is leaking oil (blown seals).

here ya go: quick spooler right here for ya. brand new. Garrett T3/TO4E 50 trim w/ .48

11. danse

danse Junior Member

If you look at the maps I would suggest the T3/T04E 57 trim over the 50 trim due to the better resistance to surging. I'm using the 57 trim on a D16 and I have no problem spooling in first. You have to have all the parts work together. Make sure you have at least 2.5 piping for everything. Mine builds boost at 2K with 2.5 piping and I'm upgrading to 3" with the new motor that is going in.

12. gettocrx

gettocrx Member

I AGREE!:thumbsup:

I have a t3/t04e 57 trim on my d16z6 and spool up isn't a problem! If you want to go even bigger go with a BB t3 60-1, which is still an over kill. T3/T04e is probably your best bet!

Try stayin away from t4 turbines!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted