No cat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2fastaccord

Will not having a cat create a lot of road noise from beneath the car toward the rear?

I remember reading a thread recently and one of you guys said that the only noise in your car came from having no cat. It was that thread about sound dampening like dynomax and stuff like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of hearing all this road noise in the hatch of my rex.

Peace*

Having no cat will raise the nosie level because one of the functions of a cat is to lower the noise!

its hard to beleive that the noise you are hearing is from not having a cat.

how about tire noise? bad wheel bearing maybe.

did you do anything to your car before you noticed the noise?

i think it's one of those damn exhaust bearings causing all that racket.

on the topic of exhaust, dumb question. Whats that canister between the cat and muffler right behind the shifter?

You guyz are all trippin. I took my cat off a week or 2 ago, and it sounds the exact same. I heard it only farts if you have a straigt pipe, or a straight through muffler. Pop that shit off!

It makes a sound, but barely any. It sounds almost like a short ram intake. It helps a lot with high end power. The noise you hear is 99% something else, check with what everyone else here said, sounds right.

Originally posted by 2fastaccord@Sep 29 2003, 01:07 PM
Will not having a cat create a lot of road noise from beneath the car toward the rear?

I second I took my cat of the noise went all over the place but more tor as well you give little to get alot

Originally posted by Dman1100@Sep 29 2003, 05:51 PM
on the topic of exhaust, dumb question. Whats that canister between the cat and muffler right behind the shifter?

its the resonator

IMO the cat doesn't lower the sound very much and most of the time when people take the cat off it's because they are redoing the whole exhaust and then they blame the added volume to having no cat and not to the new catback system they just put in. The resonator is also supposed to quiet the system and I recently cut mine out and replaced it with flex pipe (it pretty much rusted off one day) and I couldn't tell a difference in volume (still very quiet and nearly stock sounding)

You could try puting you cat back in and seeing if that gets rid of the sound, otherwise maybe try some sort of sound proofing stuff

the cat doesn't act as a noise resonator,,that is what the resonator in the exhaust system if for, the cat is an emissions issue to protec the environment.

I had a ITR 4-1 with a 2.5 collector, test pipe and Apex WS and it was quiet, very low key.

i have dc 4-1 headers 2.5 collector and a punched out cat connect to a rs*r exhaust and its very quiet. i didn't notice any difference between the stock cat and the punched out one. both sounded the same to me.

Back