No more check engine light..buuuut

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90AccordCDN

So I was having problems with my car, the flexpipe was all mangled so I needed to replace it.

I take it into Midas (big mistake) for an estimate, which I guess to them means they try to fix it and they break my O2 Sensor :p

Anyway I buy the parts off ebay (i know, i know don't say it) and I get a deal on headers too. Turned out to be A LOT cheaper then having the shop do it.

So I install everything myself and the car runs great! No engine lights or anything.

Problem is, the gasket I received is useless (the one from the header to the pipe), I burnt it out in 2 days and now the car sounds really throaty. I have used silicon but the problem persists after a day or so.

Anyone know a way around this? If I wanted my car to make unnecessary noise I would have put a fart cannon on it. ^_^

in that situation id try using exhaust paste on the sealing surfaces, but if there is too much of a gap and vibes that wont last long.
you can also cut up an exhaust bandage into a gasket shape and use that and exhaust paste, or try some high temperature silicone.

hth

use a quality gasket....and make sure you torque the bolts correctly
Also start it up so the gaskets can warm up then re-torque the bolts
Then the gasket will seat properly

Yeah I took it into a shop and they gooped it up, that didnt last long either. Went and bought a good gasket, just need the exhaust goo. And with any luck the exhaust wont rattle anymore either.

Back