No More Corvette

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hahaha It did freak me out though when I saw his user name. I instantly new it was the old man. Checkin up on me even on the intraneto

My dad is a member of Hondaswap too.

Anyway, the Vette thing, I'm not seeing it. I've been over the "205 hp" thing before. Insurance regs committed more fees to the manufacturer selling cars with over 205 hp in the 80s. My 86 Supra was 205 hp, the 89 Turbo Grand Prix was 205 hp, and my 84 Vette was 205 hp. All these figures were complete bullshit. The TGP dynoed at 245 hp / 275 hp stock at around 4000 rpm and the Vette was on par with that in all of it's 1/4 mile and 0-60 times (and 0-140ish)

I believe that most people saw 215ish hp with the NA Supra, 245-255ish with the TGP and 250-265ish with the LT1 Vettes. (at way lower RPMS). The MR2 SC was rated at 145 hp, which is complete shit - grippy tires and you could get the front end to lift (Not really off the ground, but the steering got REALLY light). The SC whipped the shit out of anything that I've owned before and to date.

my new car in 1976 was rated at 110 hp - a hp figure often dreamed about. Yet it slams me into the seat and takes off pretty goddam good. Cosworths do that though :)

Yeah i heard the same thing about HP ratings back in the day. Didn't they say that the stingray had like 190hp or something like that. Low balling it to lower rates and so they could compete in certain racing classes.

hahaha my friends b18c fully buil all motor can smoke a 2003 corvette so they arent as weak as you think and also crx is super light too. but a corvette is cool to have. attracts more attention that I want right now!!!!!

Drake said:
Yeah i heard the same thing about HP ratings back in the day. Didn't they say that the stingray had like 190hp or something like that. Low balling it to lower rates and so they could compete in certain racing classes.

There are all sorts of f'ed up ratings for racing classes and even more for sale to the american public. In a time when Japan could get anything (But gas cost like 10$ us / gal) they got to put turbos into all sorts of shit. Europe, even better. Australia - even better than that (They never saw a gas crisis, and I'm not sure if Australia even today requires seat belts)

The Yenko Stinger (A supercharged Vega) couldn't sell the Vega to the general public without jacking the price up another $1000 (Which would price it out of the market) so they sold the car and then the supercharger as an accessory (owner installed) for $100, not only because of the obvious push over 100 hp, but because of the forced air regulations. That's why you never saw SC cars from america in a certain price range / easily accessible.

This is also when Dealers came into focus in America: Yenko, Bill Mitchell, George Harte, Bob Sharp to name a few. They could do whatever they wanted to the power of a car and offer it as a dealer option. (McLaren came into the US as a sunroof package with American Sunroof Company (ASC) to get around regs)

This reminds me of somethinig funny..

MikeBergy said:
shoot, we godda da daddies and der sons on here now!

A while ago, I had the impression B.'s father was a nationally known autocrosser.

I got the idea because of a refferance he made to some win by "Daddy-o". It wasnt till later I realized that was the guys last name.

Oh, we do... but it's under our noses. The problem is that the US doesn't make sporty looking cars, and definately can't make a manual transmission. Then again, 90% of american roads are wide open highways, and that is what kind of terrain our cars are made for.

Japan wouldn't make a car like the Buick because Japan is tight and requires smaller stuff.

I mean, check out and compare a 3.1 Beretta against .. say.. a Nissan Sentra SER. The Beretta kicks a little ass.

In the luxury category, no one knows luxury cars like the US does. Compare the Lincoln Mk8 to the LS400 Lexus. Buick Regal SC (the FWD types) commonly walked all over my Supra.

The problem, again, is that very few US cars come in manual tranmissions.

d.b.cooper said:
A while ago, I had the impression B.'s father was a nationally known autocrosser.

I got the idea because of a refferance he made to some win by "Daddy-o". It wasnt till later I realized that was the guys last name.

rofl. my dad sucks at driving. lol

the "Daddio" i refer to is Mark Daddio.

the google results speak for themselves.
mark daddio - Google Search

Poor kid is going to get so much crap he's gonna kick me outta here!
He knows so much more about this stuff than i do, I feel like the kid. The principles of making an engine produce HP are the same though, just the technology is different between the old and new. This place keeps us old guys from trying to reinvent the wheel. At least for those who are willing to admit we don't know crap about making a 4 cyl sing.

aint it true. My foster dad was involved with a project back in the late 70's that ran close to 400 on the salt. i've been hooked since. Look up 'The Motion One' sometime. AAA streamliner from the good old days.

vhawwwdrake said:
Our family (2 sons and I) love cars. When my son turned 16 i bought him a CRX and for his senior project we did a motor\tranny swap on it etc. About a year later I bought a 80 vette. When his little CRX smoked my Corvette I was obviously both surprised (ya think) and very curious at the same time. Over the next couple years he convinced me that the old saying 'no replacement for displacement' was a myth of by gone days. So last week I sold my Corvette and bought a 94 Canadian model Civic EX and me and the boys are planning out what\how to build it to replace my beloved old American toy. There is enough info in this site to keep me busy for a long time. Thanks to all who post.

You were surprised that a swapped light as hell CRX beat out a 16 second emissions friendly 1980 Corvette?

Back