No PowerSteering & No AC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GQMarques

GQMarquesâ„¢
I was cruising back home one night and my crank pulley popped off leaving all my belts shooting off like rubber bands. Naturally, when you find yourself replacing things its always best to see if you can get something better than the exhisting one, so I went with an Unorthodox Crank Pulley which is noticably smaller and lighter.

I remember hearing that if you disable your power steering and AC you'll get a good deal of HP in return, so when I installed it I purposly left the AC and Power Steering belts off to test this theory. There are a few other things (cosmetic) that need to be taken care of before I put her back on the road, but my question is... how much change can I expect in the performance of my car? Is it worth not having power steering and AC? What other things can I do to my car to gain HP w/o throwing a turbo in it?

My Car:

DC headers 4 in 1
AC Autotechnic Intake system
Stage 3 clutch
Unorthodox Crank Pulley

Thanks in advance,

Marquesâ„¢

You're really not recovering much lost power by removing your AC and PS. The AC only sucks power when it's on- the freewheeling pulley doesn't do much at all. The PS eats a little power, but not enough to make a series difference- maybe 1-2hp.

lol. the guy at unorthodox told me that with an underdrive ps/ac eliminating pulley, I would see 15 hp. Bullshit?

Yup... i took her out for a spin today...
Even if i gained 15hp (which i didn't) it's not worth driving w/o Power Steering.
I think i might have gained about 5hp or so but definitely not 10+

Marques™

probably not too good for you p.steer to be disconnected. The pulleys alone can accout for your 5hp. Other adders: 3-angle/headwork, cam, cam gear, replace exhaust, dapacitive discharge/after market ignition, nitrous.

you could ditch the a/c system, stereo, or other weight redux see...
Swap pics... OBD2 B16 into 96 Ek hatch

no you dont need it. take it all out and loose some weight. i did that on my car it makes a good difference but not like 20 hp. made my car respond in handling better also

Back