Noob question... yes i've searched

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92hatchback

I just bought a 92 cx hatchback. I am looking to do a b16 swap into it in the near future and am trying to find out some more information. Does the car have a cable tranny and how do you tell by looking at it if it is cable or hydraulic? I assumed that it was a cable tranny but I've seen some info on this board that it is a hydro.

If it is indeed a hydraulic transmission can I just bolt a b16 up to it and be done with it? I'm trying to save money and do the swap myself so I want it to be as straight forward as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

a cable tranny will have cable line connected to it... on a hydro trans, it will have hydraulic lines running to it, ans well as a slave cylinder which is used to actuate the throwout bearing

"If it is indeed a hydraulic transmission can I just bolt a b16 up to it and be done with it? I'm trying to save money and do the swap myself so I want it to be as straight forward as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. "

Your engine is SOHC non VTEC, the b16a that you'd be swapping in is DOHC VTEC...you'll have to wire for VTEC and everything else is pretty much plug and play.

Thanks for the quick replys! Since it is a hydraulic transmission can I just bolt up the b16 sirII engine to it without any problems? Would that be recommended if I could?

Originally posted by 92hatchback@Jan 1 2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the quick replys! Since it is a hydraulic transmission can I just bolt up the b16 sirII engine to it without any problems? Would that be recommended if I could?

The SIR II would be a good engine, I don't know about how much bang for the buck it has though.

and same deal with that, the biggest problem other then actually getting the old engine out and the new one in, is wiring for VTEC and playing with the harnesses

Originally posted by 92hatchback@Jan 1 2004, 11:43 PM

No. You can't bolt a D series transmission directly to a B block. You wouldn't want the CX gearing anyway, even if it would work. The CX transmission is geared for economy, not performance like most B16 transmissions.

Motor/tranny
Axles
motor mounts, from B16A
shiftlingage from B series
ECU, for motor in the correct generation as your car (P30, or chipped P28)

The swap is pretty darn straight forward, remove old motor, reverse process with new motor, the wiring, and voila. The B16A is a fun motor in a light hatchback, and worth it for the price.

it will handle it, and your car is a hydro ride.

I had the SiR2 motor and loved it, but I would suggest yourself starting off with 1.8 liters

I thought about it but the gsr engine is more than I want to spend. I could buy forged rods and pistons for the b16 and still be under what it will cost for the b18c. I'm not looking to get anymore than 300whp and to keep it reliable you'd need to upgrade the internals on either engine so that's why I'm leaning towards the b16.

I know that this is off topic, but why is it that some 1992 Civic's are EF's, and some are EG's? Were they made in the same year?

All 1992-1995 civics are eg, and if im not mistaken all 92 civics came pre-wired for vtec. You will have to add a knock sensor wire though, but it isn't complicated. My first swap was an sirII in an eg and auto to manual so if you do all the needed research it is pretty easy.

Originally posted by b16coupe@Jan 2 2004, 09:31 PM
All 1992-1995 civics are eg, and if im not mistaken all 92 civics came pre-wired for vtec. You will have to add a knock sensor wire though, but it isn't complicated. My first swap was an sirII in an eg and auto to manual so if you do all the needed research it is pretty easy.

Actually 92-95s are EH in the states, and EG everywhere else.

Back