Northstar V8 MR2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ive seen a few northstar conversions lately....
A few months ago in Sport Compact Car there was a early nineties VW golf with a Northstar V8 in it......pretty cool shit!

Now how can I be a hick??? I am from San Diego California. Just because you see a yard bigger than a tennis court and 10 acres or trees with non-running cars intermixed and a pile of cut up sheet metal you assume I am a hick???

:)

Thanks for the props guys. I started the V8 conversion a few weeks after the VW guys in Canadia finished theirs, they were a big help in getting this monster going. Been at it a year now. Hopefully I'll have a new engine in a week or two and will be able to finally put it all back together and see if the computer models are close.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 23 2004, 08:48 AM
:thumbsup: good job man. how does it handle compared to when it had the stock motor?
[post=436338]Quoted post[/post]​

dont know yet. I have only drive it around the yard and onto and off the trailer. The car is far from complete and not drivable yet. especially with the dead Northstar engine. It has a cracked cylinder liner, hence the need for a new block

dope shit dude.... how well do you think it would handel with that big of a motor?

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Dec 23 2004, 01:47 PM
dope shit dude.... how well do you think it would handel with that big of a motor?
[post=436431]Quoted post[/post]​

Not that much differently than a 3sgte powered MK1 MR2, which I have 2 of.
The physical size of the engine is very large, but the weight is not all that much more than the MK1.5.

This car is not a front wheel drive car. There are many rear engine and mid-engine sports cars that weigh much more. The only thing that concerns me is the short wheel base vs high speed issues. But hell, if you can't live on the edge, then why even live at all!??!!

Originally posted by Bill Strong@Dec 23 2004, 08:14 AM
Now how can I be a hick??? I am from San Diego California. Just because you see a yard bigger than a tennis court and 10 acres or trees with non-running cars intermixed and a pile of cut up sheet metal you assume I am a hick???

:)

[post=436335]Quoted post[/post]​

ahh i guess your right...i should of looked for anything dealing with Nascar

hey bill, just curious, how did you find this site with this thread exactly? someone link ya or something?

Nice lookin swap too, I read that article in SCC about that vee dubya with the northstar in it, they said it had pretty neutral handling because the block isn't that much heavier than the stock engine was.

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy+Dec 24 2004, 09:04 PM-->
i bet it handles like shit on a road course
[post=436934]Quoted post[/post]​

Why do you say that? This is what I am building the car for. I don't drag race. Other than the launch there is no real skill needed to drag race. Or are you just talking out your bottom end?

revolution8k
@Dec 25 2004, 01:39 AM
hey bill, just curious, how did you find this site with this thread exactly? someone link ya or something?

Nice lookin swap too, I read that article in SCC about that vee dubya with the northstar in it, they said it had pretty neutral handling because the block isn't that much heavier than the stock engine was.
[post=436997]Quoted post[/post]​

I track every hit to my website for marketing purposes. I have actually made some really good contacts via this method as well. Plus it is cool seeing what others think of the project. What I find funny is reading what the high schoolers say. Websites devoted to show cars and looks are also pretty funny. You get alot of uneducated responses like the one I quoted above. Now the Porsche and Ferrari websites were most entertaining. Now some of those guys know their stuff. I got a lot of great ideas from them. Like the brakes. I was going to use lighter RX7 brakes. Many in the import world thought that was a great idea. But then they would as most import cars can barely exceed 125mph. After talking with builders of cars that exceed 175mph I discovered that using the 11" cadillac brakes was a better choice for the rear. With cars that spend their life at speeds relatively low speeds of 125mph or less light weight is good. But with a car that could exceed 175mph, stregnth is your friend.

Bill Strong

11 inch brakes in the rear is crazy! (for little import cars) That's cool that you got to meet tons of people through your site.

Are you using 11 inch rear Cadillac Brakes or 11 inch front Cadillac brakes? And off which vehicle?

I know that Euros like High Performance BMWs can get crazy sized rotor big brake kits from Baer and such other Performance Brake Companies.

Ferrari brake conversion anyone? LOL!

fastbrakes makes 11" rear disc conversion for crx's...so thats not too big compared to the 13" and 14" units seen on the bigger imports(skyline's, supra's, etc.)

Wow, that must take a bite out of a person's bank account for 11 inch rears on the back of a crx. I guess it would be used for auto cross yeah?

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Dec 25 2004, 07:39 PM
Wow, that must take a bite out of a person's bank account for 11 inch rears on the back of a crx. I guess it would be used for auto cross yeah?
[post=437262]Quoted post[/post]​

the fast brake 11" rear kit is like 300 and the 11.75" front kit is 1300. Considerign the hardware you get, I think I'll make the investment.

Awesome project! I bet that thing wil be a real handful at the limit, but like you say, it will be a lot of fun :D Any pans on modding the Northstar? I had a 1993 STS a few years ago and it responded amazingly well to cleaning up the ports, a B pipe, K&N filter and a chip. What a beautiful motor and a badass project :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.
Instead of purchasing these overpriced kits, why don't you guys look for existing parts off of other cars. We use vented VW rotors on the rear of the MK1.5 (3SGTE powered MK1 MR2).
Now remember that my engine is in the back of the car. So my brake setup will be different than yours. But yes, you want awesome stopping power? Dont get drilled rotors... and larger is not always better in the case of a small engined car. Look at what you are doing. AutoXing would require liteweight and soft pads.

Back