Not another Katrina Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
So I see Louisiana barrowed a lot of land from mother nature back in the day and she wants it back.

Why would any really think it's worth rebuilding a section of land that's below sea level. I'm still trying to figure out what moron (I believe that moron was a frenchman) thought it was a great idea to even start a city there in the first place. Yeah it served as a home for many for a long time but think about it; it's going to cost billions upon billions to rebuild that area it'll take at least 9 weeks to pump the water out of the city and many more months before anyone can even think about rebuilding a house let alone power lines, sewer systems, gas lines etc... And to rebuild for what another storm to come along and flood the place again.

The best solution is to relocate and let mother nature have her sea bed back.

These are my opinions , they are open for interpretation. I will not defend them so if you've got your own opinion on this subject feel free to respond but I will not debate my opinion.

I realize that many people have lot lives and living conditions are that of a 3rd world country right now. This has nothing to do with the people. just my opinion of the economics of the issue

A great read about New Orleans and a worse case senario written many years ago
http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/o/nov04/nov04c.html

I would do the same. Imagine the Tourism ! It worked for Venice.

Also, it's too expensive to pump that town out everyday. It's complete horseshit that the tax payer has to pay to run these pumping stations so that a city can not only rebuke the US (New Orleans is under French law) or so that they can have a place to go to break laws ?

Fuck that place. Let it sit under water.

Now Holland is different. Their entire country is sinking into the ocean - And they have no where else to go and still be Dutch.

-> Steve

holy crap thats creepy. on that article that predicted "the big one" the stats seem to mirror what they are repeating on the news. 20 feet deep in areas, 80 percent under water, etc etc etcc....

i guess theres going to be another "tsunami" fund fraiser for something so desasterious that could have been avoided.

i'm with dennis... don't bother rebuilding it.

pretty much leave it how it is... tear down the rest of the levies, and let it drown.

it would be a cool tourist attraction :p

New Orleans provides only a handful of things:

Jazz. Oh well, It's not like they are doing anything NEW with Jazz.

Mardi Gras. Take it, it's a shit party anyway. It may have been something back when it was first done, but now it's a lame booby fest with $10 beers and $20 strands of beads. You're taking away some assholes revenue. Fuck him.

Good food. Can be found anywhere.

Whores. Yay ! No more whores ! all sorts of VD will obviously plummet

French-loving ass buggers: As usual, the world is better off without people who live in a country and worship the french. I think we should all be a little less hating on the Spanish and more on the French.
Quebec, Haiti, New Orleans, Trinidad - The list goes on. Everywhere french people congregate, you have low-lifes.

a culture of the Dead. They love voodoo down there, and they have this strange fascination - neigh - romance with corpses. There is no room in a future society for the following groups of people: Islander populaces ( Haiti, British Virgin Islanders, Cubans, etc), French (The real white scourge), Muslims and the sexually deviant. Necromancers fall in there somewhere, rest assured. Oh, and Wiccans.

US life will be far better off without these people being able to congregate and call a delta "home" for their nonsense.

Look out Ohio - You're next.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Aug 31 2005, 07:29 AM
Why would any really think it's worth rebuilding a section of land that's below sea level.
[post=547745]Quoted post[/post]​

The city was originally AT sea level. Silt was constantly being deposited there by running water, keeping the land level up. When they blocked it off to build the town, the silt replenishment system stopped working, causing the city to start to 'sink'.

But yeah, they're screwed. Didn't Futurama once mention 'New New Orleans'? :ph34r:

(Bad image of Butters removed)

Aw damn.

-> Steve

i say give it back to the french. the city is a total loss imo....

On a side note, i was watchin Fox News earlier and they had a session where there were reading viewers emails, one email had a very good point. America is alwayz rushing to the aid of other countries when they have natural disasters....but now 48hrs after the storm and not a single country has come to our aid. we are here fending for ourselves as usual. we give countries billions of dollars to help rebuild.....and we probably won't get a single cent from anybody. it's ridiculous

Hugo Chavez has donated $1,000,000 to the relief efforts. And ... that's it, so yeah the rest of the world kiss our fuckin ass from here on in.

And we should also fence in that fuckin town - Barter town. And the Superdome will from here on in be known as ..

Thunderdome!

Those fuckers wanna have Napoleanic law, tell em to get on Les telephone and have em call France.

-> Steve

not even the fact that we havent gotten any aid..

there havent even been any official statements from any governments saying as much as "too bad", or "that really sucks"

fuck the world

stop giving billions of dollars every year in aid and restitution to those fuckers and put it towards health care and social security.

ahh, the US hasn't done jack shit really either.

They have 1000's of people down there. I guarentee the gov't has the means of transporting people to safer places then a fuckin stadium. They have people chilling on interstates and 10 buses to pick them all up.

Fuck the other countries, I sure as hell didn't expect any of them to jump in and help out.

Then again, a lot more of these people could have left when they predicted this huge storm. They have TV and weather reports for a reason.

How come most americans can't think similar to us, this country isn't last another 100 years.

Well wouldnt you want more people to be like thosei n new orleans? Too stupid to leave but allow darwin's principle to fullfill itself? For go sake...Florida a huge sand bar and you dont see people running for solid ground do you?

Blasting the countries we give aid to, is ignorant. We gave aid mostly to countries that don't have the facilities to aid themselves, muchless New Orleans. I mean really, do you expect Maylasia, or Iraq to fly over in their Heuys and drop rescuelines, or crates of food?

As far as rebuilding, where exactly are we supposed to relocate the residents to if we don't? Or just say fuck em, is that your plan?

I do agree that it's totally fucked up that our own government hasn't declared an state of emergency, and everything seems to be fubar over there.

A state of emergency was declared by the state, and the Government's eye is on the not only the SOE button, but also the Martial Law button. It's a delicate situation.

As far as relocating people - It's best for them to pick up and go elsewhere. People lose their homes in California all the time - And armed with any insurance money they move elsewhere. If their properties are not insured, then they lose it all. This happens to thousands of people everyday. Look at the fires that leave families permanently homeless. Aid does come, And life does move on.

As far as other countries helping, 92b16vx is right - We are still in the absolute best condition to offer help. I'm sure that Britain and our usual friends will be sending something in the lines of help - Clothing and the such - But even their domestic issues are far more advanced than our own.

This New Orleans thing is serious - But we'll make it through just fine. Think of what we did way in the past when hurricanes used to knock out cities with no warning. We've had much worse natural disasters than this.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 1 2005, 09:22 AM

This New Orleans thing is serious - But we'll make it through just fine. Think of what we did way in the past when hurricanes used to knock out cities with no warning. We've had much worse natural disasters than this.
[post=548229]Quoted post[/post]​

Thousands dead isn't exactly just fine, but yeah i agree we'll make it through.
And speaking of past hurricanes, this was what, in the top 5 ever recorded? The Sri Lanka tsunami is one of the only natural disasters i can think of worse than this.

We're talking about foreign aid, but has our government even requested help from other countries?

Back