Notebooks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

I've been thinking about buying a simple Notebook. Not anything super wonderful, just something I can run office and firefox on. I don't really want to spend over 800 bucks or so, which gives you an idea of my hardware requirements.

256MB memory
40GB or larger HDD
Processor doesn't really matter. I'd prefer AMD but Intel is acceptable.

As of last night there were 2 Acers, an Averatec, and 2 Toshibas on Newegg for under 800. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I have the Averatec 3250. It hasn't given me any problems at all. Athlon XP-M processor (upgradable too!), 512 MB ram, 80GB hard drive, dual layer DVD burner, the works. Best thing is it's size... 4lbs and 1 inch thick closed. The battery lasts for a good 2 to 2 and a half hours depending on how I throttle the CPU. Linux takes a bit of know how to get working on it but it flies. Definitely a good buy for 800 dollars.

compusa_anim1.gif

Gonna go ahead with that answer to the compusa suggestion.

You don't want celeron processors. I would say, look for a notebook with an Athlon 64 and 512mb of ram. That'll hold you well into the next few years.

Athlon 64 and 512MB in a notebook = big money. As I said, I don't want anything over 800-1k. I don't need it for anything really extensive, or really need it at all, just a convenience issue. Probably the heaviest thing it would ever do is burn CDs and transfer MP3s over a network.

I'm gonna buy this truck first and then see where I'm at.

IBM is at the top of the game in my book. Currently I have a Toshiba and it's given me problems constantly.
I sold Averatecs a while ago and did some research on them. Very good computers for the money. Make sure to buy from NewEgg.com

I wouldn't buy anywhere else. Note the CompUSA response. :lol:

Thanks for the insight on the Averatec though!

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Mar 8 2005, 04:19 PM
Where'd you get that one at Sabz?
[post=470785]Quoted post[/post]​

Circuit City. Newegg has great deals on this laptop too.

Back