NYC transit strike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
lol i just talked to katie... it took her 4 hours to get to work today. they weren't letting any cars with less than 4 people over the bridge into manhattan. no subways, no cabs, no busses... that must be nuts.

someone's going down for this though, as it is illegal to strike in this manner..

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/20/nyc.transit/index.html

judge is going with contempt of court charge and fining the union 10 million dollars PER DAY for the strike...

d'oh

i forgot to mention.

i hate unions.

its like fucking welfare.

if you don't like yoru job or your wage, QUIT.

fuck unions.

it's so stupid...

I'm glad I don't work in NY anymore. I would have turned around after an hour or two.

Among the chief grievances were the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's plans to require new transit workers to pay more for their health care.

HOLY FUCK!!! Health care is getting more expensive! What do we do?! Wait - we've got a union! Let's make our employer pay more of our premiums! Capitol idea!

Fucking jackasses. Unions have ruined America.

Quoted post[/post]]
Among the chief grievances were the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's plans to require new transit workers to pay more for their health care.

HOLY FUCK!!! Health care is getting more expensive! What do we do?! Wait - we've got a union! Let's make our employer pay more of our premiums! Capitol idea!

Fucking jackasses. Unions have ruined America.
unions like this one are ruining america. i dont think my dad's electricians union has been on strike ever. why? they work hard, company realized and ups wages. have you ever been on nyc transit? holy shit, they should be doing the job for next to nothing the way they do it.

i was wrong, the fine is only 1 million per day

and unions are crock indeed, but i think the more important issue here is health care reform :ph34r:

MTA sucks...

$2 a zone the last time I rode the bus, the busses are usually overpacked and i'd rather walk then ride them. The subway, sucks and again, is usually overpacked, but it is cheap.

LIRR isn't that bad, but more then double then the subway. I used to pay ~$6 from Manhattan to Queens, but it was quicker and less congested on most days. And weekends the LIRR Citytickets are only $2.50.

I had to go check out what the bridges looked like myself...Rediculous. I hardly could believe when they said they weren't letting people through with less then 4 people in their car, you're SOL if you have a CRX/Del sol or any 2 seater because they still won't let you in, they tell you to get in someone else's car or find a way to fit 2 more people in yours. You will not get in.

If you watched the news, the BB is insane with all those people walking across it.

Same with me, if I was still working out there. I wouldn't have even bothered getting in my car to attempt the ride.

Yeah... Not a fan of unions. They steal a lot of work from my family.

One of My dad's employee left the company after 5 years and my dad was the only one that would give him a start. He started at min. wage and was making 19hr at age 22 full benefits, cushy high end jobs, etc for 32/hr(prevailing wage) and scrapping concrete forms on city jobs.

Prevailing wage is where tax dollars go. It's ridiculous monkey work and there is a set min. pay for a union and it tends to be over 30/hr.

Regular prevailing wages are usually over 30/hr for contractors.

Union prevailing wages are usually over 40/hr.

Prevailing wage is where tax dollars go. It's ridiculous monkey work and there is a set min. pay for a union and it tends to be over 30/hr.

tax dollars?
not sure what you mean by that but most cities bid out jobs and perhaps the prevailing wages increase the bid price but its still a normal part of business

and prevailing wage was setup to ensure one employer wasn't taking advantage of their workers by paying them totally off the wall low wages and then they would win every bid...

prevailing wage is by far not the best way, but its really only there to protect working people from major corp's trying to butt fuck even more than they are now...

unions vs big $$$ corps and i would go with unions every time...
look at walmart, they fight union efforts, even going as far as closing a store if a union is getting a foothold there...
then look at all the news stories about how they are abusing their employees, hiring illegals etc...
unions do serve a purpose, and although they are not perfect they are the only means to a fair workplace that exists at this time...
come up with a better plan and i'm sure everyone would go for it...

if companies had decent social policies and ethics then unions wouldn't need to exist and this would not even be a discussion...

its really sad that people abuse everything their union has worked so hard to get...
my brother is in a union, works hard and gets paid fair wages...
but there are other people out there just working to put in their hours and they don't give a fuck about their work ethic or the quality of their work...

NEWS FLASH!!!

Unions don't have any ethics either.

The department of labor is SUPPOSED to do what the Unions are currently doing - making sure workers are treated fairly.

The worst Unions don't want employees treated FAIRLY - they want them to do as little work as possible while getting a huge paycheck given to them on a silver platter.

holy crap-- a line for taxis with police lines...

nuts...

gal.02.11.taxis.ap.jpg

gal.01.08.triburough.ap.jpg

lol that sucks so bad

i hope they make the union illegal.

fire everyone.

the city owns the trains/buses anyway. hire new people.

done.

it will make people think twice before striking again thats for sure

werd, these union people need to think this through

how many below poverty level people are gonna be losing their jobs?
its just ridiculous

Hey, you can't live near the areas that these people work along the commuting line. You can't afford a modest place along this route. You can't be a low paid worker in NYC, because your minimum commute is bridgeport CT (And better give you a free ride to work along the train).

I think the idea of Striking is great. Sometimes things don't make financial sense, but you can't just pick up and move on. If you make below $14 an hour in the NE corridor you can't afford to simply pick up and move on. You can't. You can find something entry level in another field, which will pay around $14 an hour in the first place.

They can't afford to have more taken from their paychecks, while the MTA gives their executives thousands of dollars in raises and bonuses. It's horseshite.

No, as far as unions - Unions were a thing that was necessary in the turn of the century to the early 1950s (And beyond, well into the 70s in some industries) where employees were protected and blanketted so that they could do their job. They didn't have to worry about the carpet being pulled out, and they couldn't be railroaded like they were in the 20s (Where local business men got together and agreed not to hire people that were fired / quit from competing shops. That way, they could beat up their employees with no worry of retribution. Later in the century, factories did this threatening to ruin tows (Read "Camaro Town") because they were the center of work and income in the area. (Johnstown, the city in PA that was founded by my great great grandfather) was victim of this.

But now we have a world of industry that is open and free to just about anyone. In my area, it's common to see people making permanent jobs last about 4 years and then move on to another opportunity - often for equal or lesser pay.

As far as insurance, you'll never know the options of Insurance open to you until you make the research.

If you go to the DMV when you register your car or get your licence, you'll see it surrounded by all sorts of Insurance firms. places like AAA-ABLE AUTO and shit like that. People who are obviously the most ridiculous and expensive in the area, offering the lowest and shittiest services.

This is just like taking only the insurance options that your employer offers. It's just as stupid, it's just as low-level offering and it's just as more expensive. The company bid goes to the lowest bidder.

If you feel you're paying too much for insurance, or that you're getting a bum deal - Change it.

-> Steve

FUck the union, its just a place for uneducated people to join up and try to get as much money for as little work as they can.

Guess what people i dont have a union, but i have an education, and make a decent money because of my work skills, not because ive been a coin collector for 20 years.

Back