OBD1/ OBD2 alternator harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Beavis

hi ppl . i recently swaped a D16Z9 into my EK Chassis and used some OBD2 parts , as the crank pulley from my old D14 engine(european model) and the OBD2 alternator.
After the swap , i noticed that my starter was a little weak and my dash lights also , so i measured with a multimeter and i was surprised , because even with my engine running i get only 11, 5 volts....
I checked the belt , and tension is correct , i raise to 2000rpm and still 11,5 volts , so the crank pulley is not the cause ( the D14 one is a little bigger but lighter than Z9 one), so can i conclude that the D14 alternator is not enough to the Z9??
if the conclusion is taht i need to swap my alternator , i have another problem , because , into my OBD2 harness , the alternator plug is a 3 pins one as i show to you above:
dsc02353uw5.jpg
[/url]

And the Z9 alternator have this plug and wire colors:

It´s possible to cut and match them? or can you tell me the pin out of them? so i can match my need 4 wire OBD1 alternator to 3 wire OBD2 engine harness? thz alot for any help...

Last edited:
ok already , did some study on the honda manuals and have the conversion and wire match OBD1 and OBD2 alternator plugs:
Can be useful to someone:
OBD1 :::::::::::::::::::::::::OBD2
Black /yellow::::::::::::Black/yellow : IG
White /Blue::::::::::::::white /blue : Dash Charge light
White/ Yellow:::::::::::White/green : Alt Control -OBD1 ECU pin A16 /OBD2 pin A19
Blue::::::::::::::::::::White/red : Alt Switch - OBD1 ECU pin D9 /OBD2 Pin C15

But the final question , can be the D14 alternator be weak to my new engine /setup??

Did you check what the alternator it's self was puttin out or just the voltage at the battery. If the alternator its self is puting out a weaker charge I would look into what each alternator's factory output spec is on both., if the d16 is the same as your d14, then I'd just get a new alternator for the d14. or, look into higher output aftermarket alternators for the d14

Back