obd1 swap into 1997(obd2)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97dc4

To make my b18c1(obd1) swap work into my 1997 ls(obd2) what do I need?
Injectors?
new distributor?
obd2 ecu?
Can I use my obd1 ecu with a jumper harness?
Any info on makeing an obd1 motor work in an obd2 ecu would be very helpful.
Thanks

OBD-1 ECU and a conversion harness so it will plug into your car
done

might not pass emissions though

or just use an obd2 gsr ecu (before 98.... 99+ have immobilizers)
and swap over the IAB.
consult our 5th gen sweap guide that talks abotu it

The injectors and dist. don't matter? I know that there is no vtec wiring or knock sensor wiring, I can do that later. Does a jumper harness just plug into the end of the obd2 wiring harness and then plug into the obd1 ecu?

is this a USDM or JDM engine???
do you have the harness

yes the jumper harness simply plugs in between the harness and ECU

It's a usdm engine from a 1995 gsr. Replaced clutch, water pump and timing belt. I'm in the process of buying the jumper right now. Still wondering about the injectors and dist. Will my obd1's work, or do I need obd2?

if you have the harness it will all plug in at the shock towers and you dont have to change shit .... just add the VTEC, knock sensor, and secondaries wires and your set

Use your ls engine harness. Rewire vtec, vtec oil press, and knock sensor.

You might be able to get by with the ls dizzy.

The only sensor that you might have to leave out is the Crank Flucuation(sp?) Sensor. The one at the crank. Im still working on this if it fits in OBDI motors.

You will also have to switch over your ls alternator to the new motor, unless you want to cut your harness.

You can also use your ls injectors.

You can salvage most of your ls parts.
:D

why bother with all that
if he has the USDM GSR harness
it will plug in at the shock towers to his harness
it will obviously work with the engine so thats not an issue
just run a few wires from the ECU to the plugs at the shock towers

You might no know this but the OBDII wire harness is one solid pice, not two piece like the OBDI's are.

So save the ls one and reuse it if you want to.

Thanks for all the help, but now I'm confused. Is this going to be complete plug and play, or am I going to have to swith some things around?

you are going to need the conversion harness for the ECU to plug into your cars harness
then run the wires for VTEC, Knock sensor, and the secondaries from the ECU to the shock towers

plug the GSR harness harness into your cars harness at the shock towers and thats it

not quite plug and play ... but not a lot of bullshit either

Update:

The swap went great. Everything works great, still need to wire the vtec as of now though. No mods besides the the conversion harness and vtec wiring were necessary. The only thing I needed to swap from my ls motor was the header. The gsr header was about 6" too short for my ls exhaust. Also, we had to modify my ls throttle cable to fit the gsr im. We had to make a longer bracket. The following took 12 hours to perform:
Replaced timing belt and water pump (out of car)
replaced clutch and flywheel (out of car)
ate taco bell
took out ls motor
dropped in gsr motor
filled completely with fluids
Believe it or not it ran perect the first time I started it. No fine tuning or anything was needed. It was almost too easy. I am still a bit confused about the vtec wiring though... i will figure it out.
:worthy: to all those who helped me.

SLOINTEGRA: I'm keeping my obd-1 ecu, but I am intrested in buying your obd-2. I will need it for emissions come next april. What year is the ecu?

Back