obd1 to obd2 question????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattyice89

hey i have a 97 accord with a h23 motor from a 95 prelude and i live in new york and have to pass emmisions my car needs to be converted from obd1(engine) to obd2(car) !!!! what do i need to make this work there is a cel on now and i cant get codes because the diagnostis thing dont work or is hooked up wrong or something can some one help!!!!!!

When you switch to a obd1 computer you can no longer pull codes from the obd2 diagnostic port. There is a connector somewhere near the ecu that you jump with a piece of wire. This will make the check engine light flash. The number of short and long flashes tell you what code it is. Research more on this sight for instructions on how to do it. Also if you are using a obd2 engine harness with a jumper harness to use a obd1 computer all you would need to do is hook up a obd2 ecu temporarily so they can test it for codes. Then you could switch it back.

but that doesnt help me the diagnostics port needs to work so that i can pass nys inspection??? where do i get the codes??? i know how to jump it but where do i get the answers!!!!! please help asap but car also has a hard time starting on the first start up then it will be fine all day what do u think that is!!!!

Don't you listen? Like boostin4fun said, if you are using an obd2 wiring harness with a conversion harness that enables u to use a obd1 ecu, then just unplug the conversion harness and plug the obd2 ecu straight to your engine harness, u can't use the port to get your codes if you're using a obd1 ecu but when you plug back in a obd2 ecu it should work. As for the codes, like he said search on this site :search: but i'll point you in the right direction. Go to the hondaswap home page click on reference materials, click on ecu error codes 88+

Last edited:
Back