OBX Intake Manifold? Anyone here running one?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

I was searching ebay for a high flow intake manifold, and I found a Skunk2 for about $250, and an OBX for about $150. I was wondering if any of you guys are using either, and could give me some info on performance of either or both. Thanks.

well, I can't say that obx products won't WORK as well, but I am sure that they won't last as long or look as nice. That is pretty much obx's claim to fame. It's kind of hard to mess up an intake manifold. Look a little harder, you'll find better deals on skunk2 if that is what you want. Skunk2 pro IM's go for 229 with free shipping on ebay. If you want a good manifold for less, I would go with Blox, they seem to be the up and coming mfr. They for like 175ish and are good manifolds. So are AEBS manifolds.

<<< have OBX but have not run it yet. Heres something you should know before you buy it. You cant see the inside of the intake in product pictures, but when you look in it from the throttle body side, it looks pretty smooth and has those rolled-edge runners in it. ( looks sorta like ITB's inside of the plenum) They carry 2 different sizes of plennum: bigger then stock and huge! I dont know witch one you were looking at but i have the smaller one. On the down side when you are looking into the runners, the end of the tubing they use for the runners is kinda blocking the injector holes and needs to be ground down with a die grinder or something of the sort. Not to mention, the orignal flared nuts that hold your intake on WONT fit the top mounting studs and have to be replaced or ground down do to the fact that the runners are so close to them. other then having to do a little work to it before putting it on I'd say it would probally be your best bet besides the blox intake( which i know nothing about but agree with MikeBergy that they are becoming reputable). I like skunk2 and all but they have outrageous prices and my friend bought one and says it was just like his stock intake except it was bored and smoothed out. I understand they make one with longer runners but haven't heard anything of it. Oh yeah , i paid $130 shipped (eBay) for my OBX-R intake and it comes with all new gaskets for TB,head, and injectors. Not a bad deal Id say.

Quoted post[/post]]
<<< have OBX but have not run it yet. Heres something you should know before you buy it. You cant see the inside of the intake in product pictures, but when you look in it from the throttle body side, it looks pretty smooth and has those rolled-edge runners in it. ( looks sorta like ITB's inside of the plenum) They carry 2 different sizes of plennum: bigger then stock and huge! I dont know witch one you were looking at but i have the smaller one. On the down side when you are looking into the runners, the end of the tubing they use for the runners is kinda blocking the injector holes and needs to be ground down with a die grinder or something of the sort. Not to mention, the orignal flared nuts that hold your intake on WONT fit the top mounting studs and have to be replaced or ground down do to the fact that the runners are so close to them. other then having to do a little work to it before putting it on I'd say it would probally be your best bet besides the blox intake( which i know nothing about but agree with MikeBergy that they are becoming reputable). I like skunk2 and all but they have outrageous prices and my friend bought one and says it was just like his stock intake except it was bored and smoothed out. I understand they make one with longer runners but haven't heard anything of it. Oh yeah , i paid $130 shipped (eBay) for my OBX-R intake and it comes with all new gaskets for TB,head, and injectors. Not a bad deal Id say.

I don't wanna have to do the fine work for the manufacturer that should have matched the intake ports in the first place. And the studs aren't the right size? that's gay. I found the skunk for $229 with free shipping. Sounds like it's worth it for a manifold that's already finished and requires no extra work :p The fact that it's just like stock but bored and smoothed out is kinda the whole science behind an aftermarket manifold. It'll be worth the extra hundred bucks imo. I'll look into getting this at the beginning of 2006 when I have some free cash.

Thats what i bought, skunk2 pro series intake mani for $229 shipped on ebay! I think it's a 64mm inlet, i was told by the seller it was 68mm, but it's not. You should get the hondata im gasket as well, $65 shipped on ebay.

Quoted post[/post]]
Thats what i bought, skunk2 pro series intake mani for $229 shipped on ebay! I think it's a 64mm inlet, i was told by the seller it was 68mm, but it's not. You should get the hondata im gasket as well, $65 shipped on ebay.

What's unique about the Hondata gasket? And what's the size of the stock tb on the B16? 64 or 68mm?

a little off topic but how does the PasswordJDM gasket compare against the Hondata? The Passwordjdm one is like $35 and Hondata is $60

personally i dont like the obx products they dont produce as mush as you think it would but skunk 2 it a more well known product and has a good reputation id go wit the skunk ..

I'm definitely getting the Skunk2 some time in the next few months. I've blown so much on the civic since July when I got my swap package, I gotta slow down and quit buyin shit for a few months. :laugh: I'm afraid to even tally up how much I've spent. But I tell you what, it was worth every penny. I love the way the car is now compared to the way the stock DX was.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I don't wanna have to do the fine work for the manufacturer that should have matched the intake ports in the first place. And the studs aren't the right size? that's gay. I found the skunk for $229 with free shipping. Sounds like it's worth it for a manifold that's already finished and requires no extra work :p The fact that it's just like stock but bored and smoothed out is kinda the whole science behind an aftermarket manifold. It'll be worth the extra hundred bucks imo. I'll look into getting this at the beginning of 2006 when I have some free cash.

the studs aren't wrong... it fits the head perfect, the runners are much bigger than the factory ones and are to close to the studs, which means a run to the hardware store is in order. And if you like the " science " of a factory polished intake, why not take yours to a machine shop??? Get them to bore out the throtle body passage to what ever your throtle body is( or is going to be). Id imagine that would save you even more money and you wont have to pay shipping. Not to mention it will be ready in about a day( depending on shop work orders) $229 sounds like alot for something your local machine shop can most likely take car of for less.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

the studs aren't wrong... it fits the head perfect, the runners are much bigger than the factory ones and are to close to the studs, which means a run to the hardware store is in order. And if you like the " science " of a factory polished intake, why not take yours to a machine shop??? Get them to bore out the throtle body passage to what ever your throtle body is( or is going to be). Id imagine that would save you even more money and you wont have to pay shipping. Not to mention it will be ready in about a day( depending on shop work orders) $229 sounds like alot for something your local machine shop can most likely take car of for less.

Sounds like you've never personally made a trip to the machine shop before. Cost to have the tb inlet on the obx portmatched too your tb, along with the cost of having the runner portmatched and polished is going to run you way more than the ~100 bucks extra you will pay for the skunk2 manifold. Machine work isn't cheap unless you do it yourself or have hookups. And if you have to go buy new hardware because the old doesn't fit the new manifold, that is a poor design. Plus, what are you going to go buy at the hardware store to make it better? New smaller nuts? some washers? a dremel to fix obx's mistake? Like I've seen time and again, obx makes crap, and there are better products out there that are better. Blox and Skunk2 get my vote. Thumbs down once again for obx products. You shouldn't have to modify a part that has been designed with the application you need it for in mind. OBX sucks. period.

Why not ditch both and go with AEBS. I always see AEBS outperforming other manifolds on the dyno. PLus its cheaper too. Just bought mine for 145. Cant go wrong.

Quoted post[/post]]
Why not ditch both and go with AEBS. I always see AEBS outperforming other manifolds on the dyno. PLus its cheaper too. Just bought mine for 145. Cant go wrong.

I forgot about the AEBS. They make good stuff. They don't make an IM for LS apps though, and they never will, at least that is what they told me. Sux for me, but you probably aren't running an ls, so go for it. Or buy my ITR manifold. Brand new, never mounted, make me an offer.

Quoted post[/post]]
there are better products out there that are better.

:laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]

You got any o those dynos handy? I'd like to see a manifold comparo so I don't waste my money. Thanks.

Hmm on second thought, that AEBS looks like they made it by hand. Look at all the ripples and imperfections on the surface. I dunno man.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
there are better products out there that are better.

:laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]

You got any o those dynos handy? I'd like to see a manifold comparo so I don't waste my money. Thanks.

Hmm on second thought, that AEBS looks like they made it by hand. Look at all the ripples and imperfections on the surface. I dunno man.

the casting improved on the aebs. Do a search on honda-tech and u should find some pics and dyno graphs. Skunk2 shit is overpriced. There wont be too big of a difference between the two. I did a lot of research before i bought the aebs and found it to be the better bang for the buck. I probably would have bought it even if it was the same price as skunk based on the feedback ive seen on it.

if you have a gsr, i have a new skunk2 IM for GSR and i'll throw in the hondata gasket.
see my classifeds post

i did alittle research on the obx mani and alot of people had problems with them cracking where the t/b bolt up also i think the plenum cracked at the runners. i bought a blox mani for my b20 when i was building it and had no problems bolting it up. is was very close match to the skunk but with alittle longer runers and its about 75 bucks cheaper. but if you could find a used skunk i would say jump on that.

Back