Old Router For Xbox 360 Wifi Adapter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
I'm referring to Linksys WRT54G v5.0 & 5.1 & 6.0 - DD-WRT Wiki this site. I'm not having much luck following the instructions. If anyone here is more knowledgeable about this or have done it themselves, I'd appreciate any help you can give.

I think what's throwing me off is when it says to set a static ip address. I'm not really sure how to do this, I've done quite a bit of googling on it and I still can't quite grasp it. I'm sure it's simple.

What I'm understanding it to be, is logging into the router I use to access the internet, assigning my laptop a static IP address and then disconnecting from the internet and continuing the steps. Or is it referring to setting the IP address through the advanced settings on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm getting MW2 tonight and if I can get this setup working I'll be online soon!

do you HAVE to set a static IP?
i'd just let it float if possible.

i have set up a few wireless connections but i usually just bounce around with it till it works, or i hop on aim and talk to my tech guru if i get stuck

I can't even get my computer to find the router when I connect the cat5 to both my laptop's LAN port and my router's LAN port.

It probably wants you to set a static IP in your laptops TCP/IP settings. You'll have to set up a connection with the router to accomplish this.

If the laptop can't find it when it's cabled, the router has issues. Do the hard reset thing and try connecting again.

throw it away, and buy a new one.

there i solved your problem. the rate of failure on linksys routers is up there with the 360 RRoD.

its referring to setting your LAPTOP to a static IP because when you first access the router its going to most likely be set to 192.168.x.x since that is what most private networks sit at. that way when you set the router to hand out dynamic IPs, your laptop will be assigned an IP and wont have trouble accessing the router at all.

i have actually done this to 4-5 WRT54G routers. I am at work, so if you havent figured it out by 6-7 pm (PST) i will be more than willing to help when i get off.

basically, need to set ip to static so you can ping and set up tftp to transfer the necessary firmwares to and from router.

look at the bottom of router and make sure you have a router that is capable of flashing ddwrt. and every version is different. make sure you have the right one. some are much easier than others.

i have actually done this to 4-5 WRT54G routers. I am at work, so if you havent figured it out by 6-7 pm (PST) i will be more than willing to help when i get off.

basically, need to set ip to static so you can ping and set up tftp to transfer the necessary firmwares to and from router.

look at the bottom of router and make sure you have a router that is capable of flashing ddwrt. and every version is different. make sure you have the right one. some are much easier than others.

I was trying with a wrt54g v5. I'm going to try it with a wrt54g2 v1 now.

I'd really appreciate the help once you get off work.

AND DO NOT THROUGH IT OUT! once ddwrt is on it, it is very very stable. "savaged" 3 of them that were "broken" with stock linksys firmware.

ive done it to a few of them and within a few weeks they are all doing the same shit. low on power, spotty internet, seriously they work better unplugged and at the bottom of a dumpster.

mmm, my experience with DDWRT has been very good. with low power and spotty internet, you can overclock the processor and up the voltage to increase range via ddwrt.

anyway, chaz, try following this one:
http://www.scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/

thats the link I used and it worked great. just remember, check your version and make sure its absolutely the correct version before you proceed. and as for power cycling, do it before and after you upgrade, which means, hold the "reset" button with a pin for 30secs. then pull power plug from router and hold for another 30secs. let go briefly of "reset" and then hold again for 30 sec. then let go and plug router in. it should default to everything and ask for password set up.

another thing to note is, make sure you can reliably stay connected because if router dies or disconnects in middle of flash, you will brick it. so turn off wireless, plug via Lan and turn off all a/v and firewalls.

lastly, i would recommend opening each of the 4 pages in a seperate window or tab via internet explorer before you start so you can have reference without needing to plug back internet and reload page.

good luck and ill keep an eye on thread to help you out.

ps still at work, lol.

Disabled my wifi on my laptop, plugged the router into the wall, plugged the lan cable into the router and then into my laptop's lan plug, 30/30/30 my router, tried pointing my browser to 192.168.1.1 and get the typical you're not connected to the internet page.

Am I missing something or is my router more than likely bricked?

assuming you have xp, go to control panel. network connections. right click on your lan device. go to properties. and in the options, go to anywhere that says TCP/IP, properties. now make sure it says obtain ip and dns automatically.

you havent even started modding the firmware correct?

if you have aim or something, hit me up at heavenxnxearth. ill be on.

ps.prior engagements were cancelled so home earlier than expected.

Yea, I did that. No success. I don't think it'd be that hard if I could actually get to the router's admin screen on my laptop.

it shouldnt be bricked if you didnt flash it. try another power cycle. sometimes it takes a bit longer than 30sec and more than a couple tries.

also, try pinging it. open a command prompt and type

ping 192.168.1.1

and see if it drops packets

Back