Own3d Ford Dually

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by tdehnel@Apr 4 2003, 12:32 PM
And yes, E_SolSi, my car gets bad gas mileage when I race it, too, but do I race wherever I go? Of course I don't, so that's why my car, ON AVERAGE, gets 28 miles to the gallon. These SUVs ON AVERAGE get as low as 9, 10, 11 mpg. That's just driving normally.

Not only SUV's get that. our truck gets 11-12 city and 14 highway. My moms SUV gets ~20 or so on AVERAGE.

if I could afford it your fuckin right I would have a slammed truck with 24s, besides my DX :)

i dont really like most SUVs. they are just trucks with a permanent camper. id just stick with a regular truck. i dont really know why SUVs chugg so much gas, my dad's truck (Toyota T100) does 32mpg highway and 24 city.

t100=small sized truck
SUV= big honkin block of metal, which is why soccer moms like them, the added protection against crashes. But that problem would be easily avoided with proper driving skill. Also the added security meanse less security for other people who could have a big honkin hunka burnin love in their backseat, when a normal car would stop at the bumper or somewhere there about. And this problem could further be remedied by proper driving skill, which for some reason ALL SUV owner's seem to lose track of when they decide "what the hell I'm in a big honkin boulder, they'll get out of my way". And I'm absolutely sure that everyone who drives on this board has seen a near miss in traffic from an SUV, wither personally or looking on.

SUV's are worthless, can't tow as much as a truck, can't haul as much material or people as a full size van, and worst of all a good majority especially when considering the largest ones are driven by women that shouldn't even be behind the wheel of a metro.

Originally posted by Domeskilla
Not only SUV's get that. our truck gets 11-12 city and 14 highway. My moms SUV gets ~20 or so on AVERAGE.

In that case, I'll add 11-14mpg trucks to my list, too. You'll notice I don't, nor will I ever, drive one of those. You're mom's SUV gets 20 or so? That's pretty good, but it does not address big reason #2 why people abhor SUVs: The fact that the vast majority of SUV drivers, male or female, are driving with 1 or 2 people in the car on public roads. You'll rarely see them packed full of people or tearing up the side of a mountain. With some exceptions (which are few and far between) SUVS are all about image. Anyone have any practical reasons as to why anyone should buy an SUV as opposed to an Outback or Passat station wagon, or any of the multitude of all-wheel-drive wagons?

Originally posted by tdehnel+Apr 5 2003, 11:18 AM-->
Domeskilla

In that case, I'll add 11-14mpg trucks to my list, too. You'll notice I don't, nor will I ever, drive one of those. You're mom's SUV gets 20 or so? That's pretty good, but it does not address big reason #2 why people abhor SUVs: The fact that the vast majority of SUV drivers, male or female, are driving with 1 or 2 people in the car on public roads. You'll rarely see them packed full of people or tearing up the side of a mountain. With some exceptions (which are few and far between) SUVS are all about image. Anyone have any practical reasons as to why anyone should buy an SUV as opposed to an Outback or Passat station wagon, or any of the multitude of all-wheel-drive wagons?

So are fast cars.

Its all novelty.

Its a free country and people are allowed to do things like this. SUVs create pollution, modded cars cause pollution, factories cause pollution, people in general cause pollution.

In my mind you're ignorant if you think like a tree hugger because the mere essence of people's lives revolves around using the earth to their advantage. They take things from the earth and do things that aren't natural to it, but we have to, to survive. If you don't like it find a cardboard box (which caused pollution when it was being made) and curl up in it, living the rest of your life there.

You may not like this or that but its a fact of life so why bother to bitch about it if you're not going to change it? Save your breath here and if its that important to you take it somewhere, where it matters.

I agree that fast, production cars are also about image, but don't you also race your car? Don't you go to a drag strip or autocross event to test out your latest mods? The car is a novelty, yes, but everyone's got a hobby, right? If you could tell me how many SUV owners compete in autosport, I'll buy you lunch.

Its a free country and people are allowed to do things like this. SUVs create pollution, modded cars cause pollution, factories cause pollution, people in general cause pollution.

Yes, it's a free country, you can pollute all you want, but again, I don't see the harm in doing things that DON'T pollute. "Because I can" is not a rational reason to do something.

In my mind you're ignorant if you think like a tree hugger because the mere essence of people's lives revolves around using the earth to their advantage. They take things from the earth and do things that aren't natural to it, but we have to, to survive.

I've said this already, but here goes again: I'm not saying that we should live our entire lives devoted to saving the planet. Don't think in terms of black or white, there is a middle ground. What you said is absolutely true, that we have to use resources to survive. But I don't see how driving an SUV falls into the category of survival.

If you don't like it find a cardboard box (which caused pollution when it was being made) and curl up in it, living the rest of your life there.

This is just like what E_SolSi said
so if you want to bitch about fuel usage or pollution, sell your car, go live in the woods eating granola and making hemp jewelry, and live "off the land".....

Guys, I'm a realist, I know that we have to make some sacrifices to get by in life (I'd love an LSD, but I gotta save up for that standalone ;) ) Never have I suggested that you discard all your possessions and live off the land, but what I am suggesting is that people get a little more environmentally conscious.

You may not like this or that but its a fact of life so why bother to bitch about it if you're not going to change it? Save your breath here and if its that important to you take it somewhere, where it matters.

Discussion boards like this serve two purposes: To inform and to debate. Now I'm no professional, but isn't this posted in the Anything Goes portion of the forum? If you don't like it, don't participate.

Originally posted by tdehnel+Apr 5 2003, 11:18 AM-->
Domeskilla

Actually.. my mom uses her SUV. I dont live there anymore, but they go camping and fishing, they pull a boat. We have a big family and actually pack it full, all of the time. Yes, 20 is good, but its a forgein SUV, so the mileage isn't a surprise. Now, my mom isnt't the stereotypical moron driver, she has yet to be in a wreck. My mom packs my bro and sometime his friends and the rest. It is used. Why not get a van you ask, b/c a van is bigger than this SUV so there is no need when this does the job.

As for the trucks on your list... better add all ford, b/c they get the shittiest gas mileage I have ever seen.

yup, 11-14.. EXT - 10-11 city and Dodge quad cab 4x4 = 11 max if you baby it.

Why not but an outback or passat wagons? 1) passat is VW right? there is your answer... IMO, Suburu's suck ass.

Originally posted by tdehnel@Apr 5 2003, 12:43 PM
I agree that fast, production cars are also about image, but don't you also race your car? Don't you go to a drag strip or autocross event to test out your latest mods? The car is a novelty, yes, but everyone's got a hobby, right? If you could tell me how many SUV owners compete in autosport, I'll buy you lunch.

Yes, it's a free country, you can pollute all you want, but again, I don't see the harm in doing things that DON'T pollute. "Because I can" is not a rational reason to do something.

In my mind you're ignorant if you think like a tree hugger because the mere essence of people's lives revolves around using the earth to their advantage. They take things from the earth and do things that aren't natural to it, but we have to, to survive.

I've said this already, but here goes again: I'm not saying that we should live our entire lives devoted to saving the planet. Don't think in terms of black or white, there is a middle ground. What you said is absolutely true, that we have to use resources to survive. But I don't see how driving an SUV falls into the category of survival.

If you don't like it find a cardboard box (which caused pollution when it was being made) and curl up in it, living the rest of your life there.

This is just like what E_SolSi said
so if you want to bitch about fuel usage or pollution, sell your car, go live in the woods eating granola and making hemp jewelry, and live "off the land".....

Guys, I'm a realist, I know that we have to make some sacrifices to get by in life (I'd love an LSD, but I gotta save up for that standalone ;) ) Never have I suggested that you discard all your possessions and live off the land, but what I am suggesting is that people get a little more environmentally conscious.

Discussion boards like this serve two purposes: To inform and to debate. Now I'm no professional, but isn't this posted in the Anything Goes portion of the forum? If you don't like it, don't participate.

I'd like if you quit spewing shit now.

Because I can is a perfectly good reason. When you like doing something and nobody is stopping you, you do it because you can...right?

I don't give a shit if you want to be hypocritical and say ohhhhh since I'm a hobbyist I can pollute...everyone has their hobbies.

Maybe it makes someone feel warm and tender inside to drive around their comfy SUV and pay the gas prices, because they like enjoying it and because no one is stopping them from doing so.

I will admitt to being ignorant and not reading the rest of your statements after the first two because I've heard more than enough of your bunk.

tree hugging hypocrite

tree hugging hypocrite

For the 3rd time, I'm not a tree hugger, I'm just presenting some ideas here. If you're just trying to be funny or get a rise, please take your comments elsewhere, they don't belong here.

I wonder, is it possible to have a good debate here without people like this butting in?

And exactly what shit am I spewing? Any facts I've presented have been correct, and any opinions I've presented are just that, opinions. Isn't that what an argument/debate is? Two or more different opinions? Quit being immature.

I will admitt to being ignorant and not reading the rest of your statements after the first two because I've heard more than enough of your bunk.

Nuff said.

Originally posted by tdehnel@Apr 5 2003, 01:30 PM
tree hugging hypocrite

For the 3rd time, I'm not a tree hugger, I'm just presenting some ideas here. If you're just trying to be funny or get a rise, please take your comments elsewhere, they don't belong here.

I wonder, is it possible to have a good debate here without people like this butting in?

And exactly what shit am I spewing? Any facts I've presented have been correct, and any opinions I've presented are just that, opinions. Isn't that what an argument/debate is? Two or more different opinions? Quit being immature.

Nuff said.

Who the fuck do you think you are to deem whats correct and whats not?

Commando, you've done it the entire time you've been in this thread.

I'm an American, I'm allowed to be a free thinking spirit and not regulated through the ass like brainless people such as yourself.

I'll present my ideas here as well, got it?

Come off the high horse before you fall off.

*Yes and enough was said, listening to your repetitive hypocritical crap became a bore so I stopped paying attention.

Who the fuck do you think you are to deem whats correct and whats not?
What have I said that's incorrect?

The fact that you don't agree with my opinions doesn't mean they are shit.

I'm an American, I'm allowed to be a free thinking spirit

I'm an American, too. Why does this not include me?

I'll present my ideas here as well, got it?

Fine, present your "ideas." But if you're in America, you act like an American. If you're taking part in a civilized discussion, be civilized.

I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back