P13 Installed... Car runs like CRAP.. HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

foxxman

Hello all,
I'm a new member here so please bear with me..

I just purchased my 92 Prelude.. it has an H22A installed in it, with the proper wiring for the VTEC, howe3ver it camne with a P14 ECU.. so I was told to get a P13 for the VTEC to work..

I get the p13 ECU, put it in, and the car idels STRANGE.. idles really low.. then goes up to 2000rpm.. then down to 1000rpm in 2 second intervals...

Is there anything else that I have to be away of when I do the ECU swap? OR what could possibly be causinng this?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replys.

I took the car for a drive last night and it drives well and VTEC does indeed kick in.. YAY... however is it possible the fuel mixture may be wrong since adding a different ecu?

Yes, I have seen the car idle, and it was fine before I put the P13 ECU on it.

Yes, the engine is a JDM H22A. And I'm not to sure what the TPS is... :blink: Any suggestions on how to adjust it?

Throttle position sensor.

Do a search. It's pretty easy to adjust with a multimeter.

You PM'd me. You say that the IAC lets the car idle properly when unplugged.

Are you getting a code? Your IAC would be code 14. This would confirm the IAC being bad/miswired. A bad ECU can do several things, including giving you a code that doesn't exist. If you get another code, click my sig and go towards the bottom left of the thumbnails. I have a picture of the code page.

You should check. Then come back and tell us if you had any codes.
s406603f4a605f.jpg

I have reset the ECU and checked and no codes came up. (Using the paperclip in the service plug). With my old ECU, code 43 kept coming up. With this one, no codes.

However, the ONLY time the CEL came on was when I unplugged the IAC and it was, indeed a code 14. Other than that, even while driving the car, no CEL and after driving, still no codes. So this sounds like something that the computer is obviously NOT sensing is wrong.

When I uplugged the IAC plug (2 wires) it idled PERFECT, however, upon slightly revving caused it to run rough.
IAC plugged in: Idling erratic, above 2000 rpm runs good...
IAC unplugged: Idling great, running worse above 2000rpm and throwing Code 14

Another idea, could incorrect fuel/air mixture cause this? I may slightly detect a gas odor which wasn't there from using the previous ECU. This also may be just from the erratic idling.

Thanks for the code page and all your assistance!

Back