Painting Car Flat Black...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've been thinking of doing this but fear that the flat black will scratch and look like shit very soon. Sport Compact Car did it on their 240/Sylvia and it look sic. thats why i got the idea. I wish the was a clearcoat to use. Is there?

Originally posted by Spyderturbo@Apr 22 2003, 02:05 PM
This has inspired me, the easter egg teal CX is getting a Krylon flat black paint job, I can't handle the teal and the wife will kill me if I spend anymore money on cars! How many cans did it take to do that coupe? is it a one coat affair or did you spray it twice?

-Matt
1994 CX - D16Z6 currently running non-vtec LOL :D
1997 Eclipse GST Spyder - 12's :D

just use an electric sander, 220 grit paper, sand down just a little bit (to scuff up the old paint so the spray paint will adhere to it), dont go down to metal. tape everything off you dont want paint on with the Blue 3M tape and newspaper. it took me 3 cans of krylon ultra flat black, get 4 just incase. it was easier than i thought, but i had the backup of paragus with me, as he had done it a few times before. i do have some water spots that seem to stay, nothing some more flat black can't cure, hehe... we only did one coat on my car, but some very small parts are starting to chip off, like the keyhole because i seem to miss a lot when unlocking my door, :lol: but, it has held up pretty good, and i've washed the car a few times and it remains intact.

Back