Part-way through B18C1 into EJ1, advice needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Essenar

I decided to do the swap myself, and while I don't have a problem with the car taking at least a week-2 weeks to get done, I keep coming across these small problems that end up taking huge chunks out of the day.

Example:
Yesterday I couldn't get the pin out of my shift linkage. Most people refer to it as the "bitch-pin". It took me 3 hours to figure out what punch to use to push that shit out. I finally got it out today in the morning but then I got stumped trying to find the mounts underneath the car. The C-speed racing guide pictures don't look ANYTHING like the underside of my car.

I'm also having a bitch of a time getting the harness unplugged. Some of the plugs come off with minor trouble, but some of them won't come off no matter what I do, and I dont' want to damage the plug socket. I WD40'd like the entire engine bay.

Things I've finished:
Axles have been removed, stock airbox has been removed, shift linkage connected to tranny has been removed, engine has been bled of transmission fluid and motor oil.

Things I'm having trouble with:
-The 02 sensor on the exhaust manifold, I don't know HOW to get an angle on that bolt with a socket or adjustable wrench, it's very awkwardly angled
-Finding the motor mounts underneath the car
-Getting the engine harness plugs unplugged

A few things I don't quite understand:
-What will I need to "wire" VTEC in? I have a 1993 2 door EX 5 speed, but I'm aware that even with it being VTEC stock, there's a third wire I have to wire in.
-Does anyone have a picture of the underside of their 2 door Civic that they can show me the following: The actual part of the car you put the jackstands under(Right now they're under the frame where the control arm connects to), and where the rear mounts are under the car that I have to remove?

Can anyone also tell me- Is putting the B18C1 going to be this hard? I'm told it's not but I could use a second opinion. My friend says getting the stock motor out takes more time than putting the B18C1 in, because a lot of the bolts and plugs are shut or rusted shut.

its not hard.

you should be able to see the mounts EASILY from under the car. just find what connects the motor to the firewall.

get an o2 sensor socket. they are like 6 bucks at the parts store.

If your car is an EX, it's already wired for vtec. If you're using the USDM ecu, you don't have add any wires. If your use the JDM one, you'll have to wire the knock sensor.

Your motor mounts should be very easy to see with the tiny SOHC engine in there. Just look down below the intake manifold, that mount should be the only one that is hard to see...

So then there are four mounts? The rear mount (Looks kind of like a pointy mount behind the motor, easier to see on the passenger side), the two side mounts, and the torsion mount on the front passenger side?

Also, isn't there another wire for using a GSR motor in an EX? IAB or something like that? Or do I just have to seal off the wire to prevent the current from going out?

Wow. Someone didn't do their homework before diving in. You really need to do some searching first. If you are asking these questions, you'll have 20 more next week. Get a manual and read. Read articles here. Search for ecm pinouts. Good luck.

Yeah, you gotta wire in the secondary butterfly's. I forgot about that... You have to use a GSR ecu or you won't have control over them. Unless you plan to use a Skunk 2 mani or something.

And actually there should be five mounts on your EX. One in the rear that kinda looks like a "T", the two obvious ones on both sides of your engine. There should also be a lower one on your tranny and another where your A/C compressor is.

Good luck to you. Just get in there and start disconnecting stuff. Make sure you label EVERYTHING though. Vacuum lines, sensors, bolts... It'll make your swap SO much easier when installing the GSR engine.

Back