Phantom Grip LSD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Well, they don't have a "Tranny Building" forum, so here goes.

Ordering Page

Testimonials on PG's site.

Some of my friends say it's kinda on the lower-end side of the LSD world, while another friend says all his hard-core auto-x'ing buddies swear by them!?

For $300, is it a wise investment?
Are they durable and reliable?

Just looking for some input.
-Andrew

we had one in our 89 STD hatch with DOHC ZC which we ran on the street for a couple of years (about 18k miles) and then switched the car to drag only and had close to 400 1/4 mile passes on it - it worked very well - the only drawback to the PG that we saw was that they do wear out the inside of the differential carrier, which after a while causes too much lash between the differential gears and they start breaking teeth on the gears

But it sounds like it lasted you guys a long time, with some harsh'er than adverage driving.. especially drag only!!

Sounds like a good investment to me.
Anyone else tried em?

Thanks jlicrx
-Andrew

If you install them correctly, they're actually not bad at all. For a diff without wear, you're going to have to go with a helical diff. Viscous plate and clutch LSDs will all wear down, just like the PG LSD- they'll all just wear in different ways.

airjockie has one in his 1g crx. works really nice.

i however wouldn't get one. i had a viscous in my old mirage, though.

I'd buy another pg if I had too...but the one I have is still holding up real good...of course, I haven't drove the car in two years, but it did hold up to 9spi for a while, and a lot of events and spirited driving. But I also ran ATF instead of motor oil in the tranny, one you take the tranny apart, and see all the tiny roller bearings...you'll also switch...plus it never left anything on the magnet when I do tear the trany apart...which I have gotten good at. Infact, I'll prolly try to get to doing another swap...got to swap the tranys from one car to the other car, and swap out the diffs....when I take it apart, I'll show up a picture of how much wear happens for 10k miles, 2ks with boost.

There's alot of guys that had their spider gears grind up. For the price, an OBX LSD(there's a BUNCH of d-series guys running this with no problems) with new bearings will be alot better

Well, the price is almost the same, I'm just trying to decide between the two.
is the bearings for the OBX something thats specifically for the obx, or is it something my tranny shop would have? (basically do I need to order those online too?)

I had the Phantom Grip in my 93 hatch. I sa no problems with it. I was drag racing on the streets and track for a year with it. No problems at all. The motor i had was a b20 with a t3 turbo, b16 trans.

Andrew said:
Well, the price is almost the same, I'm just trying to decide between the two.
is the bearings for the OBX something thats specifically for the obx, or is it something my tranny shop would have? (basically do I need to order those online too?)

The OBX uses oem bearings; you can get them from the dealership. Reason why it's best to use new bearings is because the bearings have to be pressed on or off(I believed the people who had problems with the OBX were the ones that reused the old bearings).

^ so it doesnt come with any bearings with the diff?

thanks for putting up with me ;)

yeah. I've pretty much decided on the OBX. it sounds like it will last longer, obviously with some fresh bearings.

and btw, still have that cluster? ;)
-Andrew

Back