Pics of the Tein install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

La_Pieuvre

here are the pics we took of the install at Mike's house. We didn't take as many pics as we wanted.

s3f22a56097298.jpg

s3f22a57f07287.jpg

s3f22a5d07f521.jpg

s3f22a5e0ed784.jpg

s3f22a592dadfa.jpg

s3f22a56c9b742.jpg

did you need a spring compressor for that? and how would you rate the dificulty of the install?

Originally posted by Prowler@Jul 26 2003, 12:12 PM
looks like a limp wrist :ghey:

:p :lol:

We rented a spring compressor, but it didn't really get used... the crappy AutoZone spring compressors won't compress the rear springs enough to get the old struts out. I just unbolted the LCAs from the trailing arms and dropped the struts that way. The fronts don't require any compression- just take out the damper fork and the strut drops out too.

The install really isn't that hard. I took way too long to do it, but I wasn't rushing or anything... plus my back was hurting and the car wasn't on a lift, and there wasn't much space in my garage to work. Oh well. The install went well. It's only 4 bolts per side up front and 3 per side (+1 for LCA) in the rear. Easy.

I must say that I really like how the car rode after the install was done. After Oliver's fine tuned the damper settings and settled it all in, I'm sure he'll have more to tell... along with pics of the whole car in the daylight.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The blood was my fault. I had Oliver hold the front strut in place while I unbolted it from the top... oops... I haven't taken a stock suspension setup apart in 5 years, so I haven't had to worry about spring load. As far as we could tell, the area is just bruised a little- no broken bones or anything.

;)2

if the pics where just a HAIR bigger, i could morph myself through the monitor and into the car :p

looks good dude

nice, good job. you could have used some of those mechanix gloves, those things come in handy, a set came free with my makita drill :)

Originally posted by B16@Jul 26 2003, 11:21 PM
nice, good job. you could have used some of those mechanix gloves, those things come in handy, a set came free with my makita drill :)

Heh. I was wearing a set- but Oliver was just holding the strut as an impromptu thing when I asked him to do it. Oh well, I think he's okay.

:)

I like the daylight pics... that gap came out perfect! Is the ride that much different with the shocks set only 6 clicks softer?

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 26 2003, 11:47 PM-->
@Jul 26 2003, 11:21 PM
nice, good job.  you could have used some of those mechanix gloves, those things come in handy, a set came free with my makita drill :)

Heh. I was wearing a set- but Oliver was just holding the strut as an impromptu thing when I asked him to do it. Oh well, I think he's okay.

:)

I like the daylight pics... that gap came out perfect! Is the ride that much different with the shocks set only 6 clicks softer?

The ride is still pretty stiff. Not as bouncy as what it was set to when we drove. I really like the way it rides now.

Everything turned out ok.

Mike: Thanks again for doing the install. Everything looks and feels great :worthy: :thumbsup:
btw, did you ever get the car back from the towing company?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 26 2003, 10:02 PM
if the pics where just a HAIR bigger, i could morph myself through the monitor and into the car :p

looks good dude

yeah sorry about the size, B. I had already resized them to 50% their original size :p

You should make the pics 600 pixels wide at most- that's what I use (600x450), and it's a pretty good compromise between quality and physical/data size.

I got the car back from the "storage" yard early this afternoon. Apparently they charge $151 to tow from Carrollton, then another fucking $66 to "unload" the car from the tow truck... then an "impound fee" and a bunch of other crap. Somehow it all came out to just under $200. They were a bunch of white trash fucking assholes that wouldn't budge on anything because the "manager" wasn't there. I'll be back on Monday morning to bitch them out until I get my money back- maybe I'll bring some really beefy guys too. I'm definitely bringing a large pipe, maybe a gun.

Assholes.

Those fucking vultures deserve to die a very slow, very very very very VERY painful death. I would LOVE to beat them until every single fucking bone in their body was broken, and they laid on the ground bleeding until everything was eaten away by ants and scavengers.

:rant:

Nah, I wouldn't do anything like that, but that's just how I feel. They're definitely getting an earful on Monday morning. If they don't give my money back, the news stations are getting a call. They've towed enough residents' cars. They're going down, one way or another.

But back to your shocks- they're nice. :lol:

:lol: That'show it was for the towing company I worked for. We loved people that would park the wrong way on streets and stuff, just so cops could have us tow anything with whels, then we would get to charge over 150 each tow.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 27 2003, 12:29 AM
Apparently they charge $151 to tow from Carrollton, then another fucking $66 to "unload" the car from the tow truck... then an "impound fee" and a bunch of other crap. Somehow it all came out to just under $200

under 200? the tow plus unload alone is over 200, let alone other fees. you prolly meant 300 but w/e, sorry i seem to notice math errors like that, what can i say, intended engineering majors are like that i guess, lol :p

and :yes:, the tiens look VERY nice

For where I worked it was 58 dollar hook up, 3 bucks a mile, 28 dollar unloading fee, and some other taxes I didn't know what meant but were pricey. And every day a car was in impound it was around 47-60 a day.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Jul 27 2003, 12:38 AM-->
@Jul 27 2003, 12:29 AM
Apparently they charge $151 to tow from Carrollton, then another fucking $66 to "unload" the car from the tow truck... then an "impound fee" and a bunch of other crap. Somehow it all came out to just under $200

under 200? the tow plus unload alone is over 200, let alone other fees. you prolly meant 300 but w/e, sorry i seem to notice math errors like that, what can i say, intended engineering majors are like that i guess, lol :p

and :yes:, the tiens look VERY nice

It was $195.07, which is just under $200. Their fee structure should have put it right at around $300, but I wasn't going to bitch about it. They're going to hell anyway. Assholes.

As for the "intended engineering major"

FUCK YOU

I have my degree. Go sit on a pile of rusty nails.

Did you install the Tein Basic Dampers or the Type Flex system? I am throwing the idea around on purchasing the Type Flex system w/ EDFC.

SS. Don't buy the FLEX just because you want to use the EDFC... buy it because you need the features that it offers. It's WAY overkill for a car that doesn't see track use.

Back