playstation parts... Video/audio upgrading

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm pretty sure there is an optical out on the PS2...at least I think the new ones have it.

i have the old ps2. does it have the optical out? between my receiver and my tv, i have every possible connection known to man... from composite to hdmi and everything inbetween

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 23 2005, 02:23 PM
i have the old ps2. does it have the optical out? between my receiver and my tv, i have every possible connection known to man... from composite to hdmi and everything inbetween
[post=465226]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, the old PS2 has an optical out. It's what I used in the last house.

Yes. I have the Monster cables for the Xbox, but it had the component and the audio included with them (5 total) the PS2 one dosen't have that because it has the optical out for audio.

:no:

component is NOT capable of producing anything over 480i/p.

DVI and HDMI will both support up to 1080i

HDMI/DVI are the same thing-- but HDMI has audio circuits as well. (one plug for both things).

In order:

HDMI/DVI
Component (RGB)
S-video (ps2-looking plug)
Composite (typical RCA's)
Coaxial (cable wire)

Actually they do support up to 1080i, just that for whatever reason the upconversion dvd players use the digital cables and not analog (although there was one that did support upconversion though component, but then they found that "bug" and fixed it). How do you think GT4 is outputing 1080i??? Oh if you want the stereo RCA on your component cables, new Monster Cables PS2 component cables have them (ie 5 plugs instead of 3)
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 24 2005, 09:19 AM
:no:

component is NOT capable of producing anything over 480i/p.

DVI and HDMI will both support up to 1080i

HDMI/DVI are the same thing--  but HDMI has audio circuits as well. (one plug for both things).

In order:

HDMI/DVI
Component (RGB)
S-video (ps2-looking plug)
Composite (typical RCA's)
Coaxial (cable wire)
[post=465539]Quoted post[/post]​

WOOHOO!!! I'm not a newbie status anymore, only took 2 years... :p

Originally posted by Wytt@Feb 24 2005, 02:04 PM

WOOHOO!!! I'm not a newbie status anymore, only took 2 years... :p
[post=465629]Quoted post[/post]​

lol I probally get 25 posts a week, and I rarely have time for hondaswap anymore

I wish :( Only Component at the moment, as far as I know.

All PS2s have optical digital out. You can pick up a coax/optical converter for very little if your system only supports coaxial digital.

Been wanting one of those mini PS2s and said converter for my car. But a dying oil pump is a higher priority.

Anywho.

Component kicks ass--Halo 2 in 16:9 Widescreen format with HDTV 480i is sexy.

I got component on my tv and dvd palyer and stuff. the question i have is that my tv is a regular Sony trinitron, not even the WEGA. does anyone know how good the picture can get on those, i have the Monster component cables right now, but i was wondering if that tv can evensupport a high enough resolution for me to need the component cables.

does anyone know?

Back