Please Help!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slr_war

Sorry for the caps in the title but I’m about to lose my mind. I have a 1991 CRX DX with an automatic. Just a couple months ago I had a distributor problem, I replaced everything in it from coil to rotor to cap to find out it was the barring and ended up having to replace the whole thing any ways. While I had it out I took the valve cover off to strip the black coating off from where it has peeled in areas and after installing everything back I screwed up wiring the ground to the valve cover by grounding it just to the valve cover and not to the bolt securing it to the head (partly from trying to do everything on my lunch break). So that caused the starter not to turn, not realizing my mistake, I had the started tested a few time and came up good but I replaced it with a new one anyways since they do have the chance of looking good without a load behind it. So after fixing the ground, my car has a new distributor, starter, rotor button, dist. cap and wouldn’t start worth a crap. I figured it was from the plugs fouling out from getting gas without the starter turning while I was trying to diagnose the problem. After replacing my plugs it ran somewhat better but not like it did before all the new parts. It smells as though it is burning rich but I was happy it was running so I drove down the road trying to burn off the gas in the cylinders and about 3 miles away it backfires real loud and dies... so I have it pulled back to a mechanic shop. They tell me it’s the distributor causing the problem so I exchanged the one I bought with another and they install it this time. It starts and runs again but still smells rich. So I drive it back to my work and when I get to the shop it dies again this time it throws the check engine light and show code 15. I ask around and was told it could be the computer. Well I check to find which ecu code mine has and I see it was a salvaged ecu anyways and not the one that belongs in mine. It is a 37820-pm5-a80 mine supposed to be a 37820-pm5-m10 (I called Honda to confirm). I can’t seem to find the one that belongs in mine anywhere. So I went to my local junk yard and found a civic sedan auto with a ecu and I try it.. I believe its a a59 but I don’t have it in front of me to be sure but I put it in and it drove fine made it about 20 miles just doing laps around where I work and it stalls while I was right by my work... code 15. The longer I drive my old beater 70 miles a day getting 15mpg I won’t be able to afford to fix anything.

Please some one tell me they can help!

Check your sparkplug wires for continuity. It sounds like one of your plug wires is either not connected good or frayed inside the insulation.

I have already replaced the wires but i will check. but could that cause it to shut off then not crank for a couple hours then magicly start back running good then 20 minutes it shuts off again??

Does it not turn over or does is not start?

it doesnt start, turns over fine.. as if something is getting hot and needs time to cool down.. if it was a plug wire i figured it would just run rough, instead of not running at all

i know this.. i replaced the whole distributor (igniter and all)... twice

Back