police radar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

If my car is all primer grey and i dont have a front liscense plate and speed past a cop, can he clock my speed? Does the radar gun have to have a reflection in order to work? any comments thanks :)

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 2 2004, 11:22 PM
Radar is reflected by an object itself, not how shiney it is.
[post=397627]Quoted post[/post]​

that sucks, what if he tells you to follow him because he was trying to pull over the guy infront of you that was speeding also but you ignore him and keep on driving away while he turns on his lights and pulls the other guy over. citation in mail? (Also he doesnt turn on his lights for you just yells through the speaker to follow him).If that senario happened the cop couldn't prove you were the one driving the vehicle, you could always say you thought he said "slow down". What are the possiblities for that kind of situation? thanks.

if he has your plate number, you'll probably end up receiving something.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 2 2004, 11:38 PM
if he has your plate number, you'll probably end up receiving something.
[post=397633]Quoted post[/post]​

whats an offense for 105 in 65?

holy shit... lol

uh... lots of money. You could have very well lost your license, had to go to court and had probably about 80 tickets out your ying yang...

slow the fuck down... or at least get a radar detector and keep it within reason. I do 90 on the highway, unless I'm in traffic.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 2 2004, 11:55 PM
holy shit... lol

uh... lots of money. You could have very well lost your license, had to go to court and had probably about 80 tickets out your ying yang...

slow the fuck down... or at least get a radar detector and keep it within reason. I do 90 on the highway, unless I'm in traffic.
[post=397636]Quoted post[/post]​

already have restricted drivers liscense :(

he was asking an honest question, and did not deserve a dickhead response that did not answer his question in any way. in the furute i will refrain from doing this.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Oct 3 2004, 01:27 AM
he was asking an honest question, and did not deserve a dickhead response that did not answer his question in any way. in the furute i will refrain from doing this.
[post=397642]Quoted post[/post]​

this is a dickhead response? Are you fucking kidding me? Do you want some kid that obviously doesnt know dick to be flying 105 down the highway? Maybe if he made another bad decision and hit into your mom and dad driving, or if you have kids into your kids?

Theres one thing about driving fast and its that its dangerous not only to you but mostly to others.

If you can handle it and you're smart about it fine, but obviously if he's gotten snagged before for this sort of shit he's not the brighest now is he?

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Oct 3 2004, 02:46 PM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Oct 3 2004, 01:27 AM
[post=397642]Quoted post[/post]​

this is a dickhead response? Are you fucking kidding me? Do you want some kid that obviously doesnt know dick to be flying 105 down the highway? Maybe if he made another bad decision and hit into your mom and dad driving, or if you have kids into your kids?

Theres one thing about driving fast and its that its dangerous not only to you but mostly to others.

If you can handle it and you're smart about it fine, but obviously if he's gotten snagged before for this sort of shit he's not the brighest now is he?
[post=397718]Quoted post[/post]​

first of all im no kid, second there was only one other car on the road and he had to be going 120, so i kept a 15 car difference, only would have hurt myself. Restricted liscense was for a dui because i was sitting in my car outside my house with my keys in my pocket talkin on phone, rule of thumb, dont be drunk and have your keys in your pocket outside your house near your car. As far as not knowing dick, show me a person that is "all-knowing" beacause i'd like to meet him. Just because I dont know shit about how a radar works doesnt make me at the bottom of the I.Q. Chain.

Originally posted by SolidDreamz@Oct 3 2004, 07:03 PM
first of all im no kid, second there was only one other car on the road and he had to be going 120, so i kept a 15 car difference, only would have hurt myself. Restricted liscense was for a dui because i was sitting in my car outside my house with my keys in my pocket talkin on phone, rule of thumb, dont be drunk and have your keys in your pocket outside your house near your car. As far as not knowing dick, show me a person that is "all-knowing" beacause i'd like to meet him. Just because I dont know shit about how a radar works doesnt make me at the bottom of the I.Q. Chain.
[post=397785]Quoted post[/post]​

Think of an echo, but much much faster and in the RF spectrum. The RF pulses will reflect off your car and be picked up by the radar gun. It detects the time it takes for a signal to be sent and returned several times and from that can calculate your range from the radar, and with that can ultimately calculate your speed.

You can either add an RF absorbing coating to your car's exterior (EXPENSIVE), find some way to reflect the signal somewhere other than back to the unit, or confuse the unit by flooding the area with RF energy.

You could build a HERF gun and have fun burning out other people's ECUs, random computers, and other electronic goodies... but these days that will get you branded a terrorist and you know where that will put you.

he prob wanted you to follow him so he could arrest you for racing

i doubt you will be lucky enough to just get a speeding citation...

expect a house visit...

EDIT: and hey can clock someone on a bicycle, so no way he missed you...

"You can either add an RF absorbing coating to your car's exterior (EXPENSIVE), find some way to reflect the signal somewhere other than back to the unit, or confuse the unit by flooding the area with RF energy.

You could build a HERF gun and have fun burning out other people's ECUs, random computers, and other electronic goodies... but these days that will get you branded a terrorist and you know where that will put you."

Also highly illegal as well as expensive.

You can create all kind of jammers and have all kinds of laser/radar detector setups but a lot of it isn't legal. So if you get caught you're done.

If he didn't get your plate number you're out of it scott free because theres nothing he can prove. If he did, then who knows what his course of action will be. If no one has showed up knocking on your door yet, you'll probably get cited in the mail.

"EDIT: and hey can clock someone on a bicycle, so no way he missed you..."

Theres plenty of ways that they could of missed him, but if he doesnt have a decent radar/laser detector he'll never know. If it was state police in a 'high tech' state or a state with a decent amount of money and funding then its possible that he got tagged when he drove by, by a laser with auto-on. If its an old style radar gun where you have to point and click at a car, then its quite possible that he didnt get tagged going that fast. He would have passed the cop in a second, probably not giving him enough time unless he was sitting in wait expecting him...hell he probably could have been doing paperwork or dicking off if he wasn't laying in wait. Also if theres trees and such in the way, the time that he had to clock him would decrease greatly because he would only have a shot on him for a split second. Like I said if its a laser detector with auto-on, that automatically turns on and clocks someone as they pass then he could be fucked...but hey the plus side of going that fast is that theres no way he's going to be able to read your plate. If there were an exit in sight and I could get off safely, I would have got my ass there, and hid whereever I could.

You have to figure if the cop was sitting stationary and he's doing over 100 in 1 minute he'll be 3 miles away from the cop. In a split second he'll still be a good couple thousand feet away before the cop even has a chance to pull out and get up to the speed limit, let alone 100mph. If you're going that fast, hop off the freeway, get on another road going slow and hope that none of the local cops picked up the radio traffic to be on the lookout for a car that fits your description. At that speed its plenty easy to get away, but if you slow down and he gets your plate you're done...or if you stick on the same road and theres another cop and he radios ahead you're done.

As for ripping on you, I just thought that if you're going that fast you should probably know the consequences and how you could get gnabbed or thats just plain idiotic. You could easily lose your license for getting caught at that speed, or even be arrested and have your car impounded. Not shit to fool around. If I'm cranking along that fast I'm damn sure theres no cops on the road and I can get away with it without causing any problems.

...and my one question is, if the guy infront of you was doing 120 and you were behind him, why the fuck did he not get tagged? We call people like that bait. You drive far enough behind them to give a cop time to pull out between you and them, so he gets fucked and not you.

Originally posted by drpenguin@Oct 5 2004, 03:41 AM
are radars legal in all stats and if not what ones are the legal in?
[post=398426]Quoted post[/post]​

if you mean radar detectors they are illegal in VA and wash. DC.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 5 2004, 10:00 AM
also illegal in PA
[post=398504]Quoted post[/post]​

did they just pass a law on that then? I've never heard of them being illegal in PA.

Back