Pontoonin it up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Looking awesome! Great restore work!

Polish up the pontoons with mother's mag and a heavy duty buffer. Might have to do a little sanding first.. Depends on whether they were clear coated or not.

I say rat rod pontoon. I think it would look sweet. Especially if you get a pin up girl painted on the pontoons.

Looking awesome! Great restore work!

Polish up the pontoons with mother's mag and a heavy duty buffer. Might have to do a little sanding first.. Depends on whether they were clear coated or not.

The pontoons are anodized aluminum. Not too sure about sanding them...maybe an extremely light sand, but everywhere I've read it says too leave the pontoons alone lol. I think we are going to clean them up, and clear coat em to protect from the water. And of course a nice shiny polishing.

I say rat rod pontoon. I think it would look sweet. Especially if you get a pin up girl painted on the pontoons.

HA! That would be pretty sweet. One of a kind. I would consider that, if I were the money of the operation lol. Unfortunately, I'm not.

So after today, all we have left is:

2-gaskets for the motor, and it's done
Run the wiring for :
Lights - red and green up front, white in the back, and whatever other lighting we are going to need.
Stereo - 4-8 6x9's, 2-4 JL12's, 1- 1000watt amp, 1-700 watt amp
Captains console
Wench
Motor
Install seating
Bolt down railing
Install captains console
Install the diving board
Install the gas tanks
Install siding
Clean and Install flashing

Man...That's a lot lol. Slowly but surely. Were hoping to get it done at least a little before Summer that way we can go out once, but hopefully more. The most pain in the ass thing so far is finally over though. The railing. Welding, grinding, more welding, checking to make sure it lines up, grinding and welding some more, drilling holes, smoothing it with a wire brush attatchment, spraying it with an acid treatment, shooting a coat of primer, sanding, and shooting 2-3 coats of paint, and then clear coat. Very exciting. Anyway, I'll keep posting pics till it's done.

Last edited:
But the hard work is paying off, that looks like a professional job.

Also, you're probably going to want to either tone down the audio system a little, or run the boat's starter battery on a separate circuit. A 1000w amp will make short work of a battery. 1700 watts will be tough for the boat to keep up with even while running, unless you've done custom work there, too..

But the hard work is paying off, that looks like a professional job.

Also, you're probably going to want to either tone down the audio system a little, or run the boat's starter battery on a separate circuit. A 1000w amp will make short work of a battery. 1700 watts will be tough for the boat to keep up with even while running, unless you've done custom work there, too..

Yeah, we plan on throwing a generator on there...an if that's on there, were going to have to have a sound system to compete with generator noise lol. So it should work alright, maybe we can try to do a little sound proofing where ever the generator is going. This plan isn't set in stone yet, so were still thinking things up. Thanks for the compliments though. I'll have to get some pics of after next week. Updates come then!

not sure if pop rivets are a good idea
boats tend to flex and bend, you want something you can retighten every so often

When the boat was manufactured, it actually came with pop rivets. Some of the things we're doing are just copying the way the boat was before, just adding our own flare to it.

My boats, for the last 5 or 6 years, have been named "Contingency".

Contingency (Bass boat) Was sold.
Contingency II (One man olympic class racer) was totalled in a storm (while I was sailing it)
Contingency III (catamaran) was sold before it ever hit the water

I have a boat in the back yard that I thought about naming Contingency IV, but its an old Ski boat.. Unnamed as of yet, it won't get a name until its been restored to service. And its pushing 20 years old.. kind of late in the game to get a name I think.

insurance is your friend for boats
i priced out some top line coverage from geico and it was under 200 bucks
def want liability if you hit someone else's 40K boat
and also want medical for your passengers in case they get hurt

also had included oil/fuel spill cleanup and wreckage removal (where required by law) included

and dont forget the price of winterizing the boat as well when storing it for winter...

Got some more pics. Got one of the glued down carpet and half of the newly painted rails. Their a darker grayish bluish with some metal flake. Couldn't get a really good pic of em. Been taking pictures with my brothers phone. Actually pretty good for a phone though. Here are the pics.

pontoon5.jpg

I guess you can see some of the metal flake in the sunny part of the rails.
pontoon6.jpg

Some of the other rails getting ready to be painted and clear coated...was too windy to do it today though.
pontoon7.jpg

Back