Power steering pump rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dgie31

My power steering pump is sounding like it may be going out and has been for awhile, has anyone ever rebuilt one of these before? easy, hard?

I know this is an old post but since I just repaired my honda accord power steering pump I thought I might answer the question in case someone else has the same one. First when I say rebuild, I mean that I took it out because it was making a lot of noise and the fluid was sometimes foaming out of the reservoir. I ask the honda folks and they thought it was a worn out pump but I tried the inexpensive method and just replaced the "O" rings and it now makes no noise, nor does it foam and the wheels steer just great. It cost me $12 for parts and about 1 hr labor. The most work is removing the pump. You need to relieve the tension on the drive belt to get it out of the way, there are two bolts that hold the pump to the engine and you have to disconnect two hoses. To take it apart just take all the bolts out and pull. There are 4 "O" rings. Cool!!

Back