1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem removing ball joint

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by KamCo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. KamCo

KamCo New Member

Help! I am new to the forum, and I am in process of swapping the engine from an 88 civic lx into an 89 civic dx. I can't get the lower arm separated from the ball joint. I have a puller, and I can't seem to budge it at all on either car. I have cranked on the socket attached to the puller until it just won't move, or the puller comes off. I have taken these off before on the '88 when I replaced the clutch a few years ago. What am I doing wrong? Any tips out there? Thanks

2. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

There is a bump on the lower control arm towards the front of the car. Its near the ball joint. Hit it with a big hammer.

3. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

repeatedly.

or you can get a seperator. or do what i do, and take a wood splitting wedge, wedge it between the knuckle and the LCA, and hammer away at the wedge til it pops the ball joint out. (need a big hammer)

4. ls94civic

ls94civic New Member

They make separating forks just for ball joints and tie rod ends pound them in and it will pop right out

5. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

And then go buy a new ball joint while your at it, This is the worst way to seperate a ball joint... I use the hammer method while some one is lifting up on the hub...

6. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Here's a trick, use a hydraulic jack and jack the assembly up(with the shocks still in). Wedge a breaker bar/wrench or something hard between the knuckle and LCA. Now lower the jack quickly.

7. josh_crewdson@y

josh_crewdson@y New Member

take the nut off the bj and put it on upside down to protect the threads and the top of the castle nut, then with the shock and spring still on use a jack and jack the nut on the bj up till the car barely lifts off the jack stand, then hit that nub on the side of the lca. itll pop right out every time, and it doesnt f your bj boot up.

8. KamCo

KamCo New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am still trying to get the lca off. Several of you mentioned the nub to hit to help free up the lca. I am enclosing a picture of the lca on my car. Is the spot to hit the nub that is right above the castle nut in the bottom of the picture, or is it somewhere else? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted