Problem with my son's Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LordVader

Hello all...I need a little help figuring out what could be causing a little problem on my son's 92 Civic CX. I'm a Chevrolet guy and don't have much experience with Honda's so here it goes:

If you park the car at operating temprature, and immediately (within 1-2 min) try to start it, it won't. It cranks fine and does actually start but dies immediately. If you let it sit for 5-10 minutes it starts right up. It runs great otherwise. It almost acts like a bad MAF sensor and if it was my Imapla SS that is exacly what I would change without hesitation. (hell, I dont even know if Hondas even use a MAF sensor LOL) It hasn't thrown any CEL's or anything of the sort. I'm leaning towards a problem in the fuel system somewhere after just thinking on it but wanted to hear from people that know WAY more than I do before I tear into it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

if you have an extra fuel pressure guage throw that inline inbetween the fuel filter and fuel rail...

see what the fuel pressure is reading at

I honestly don't know which way to guess on your son's problem... but Hondas use a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor on the intake manifold. We don't get the benefit of a MAF.

:)

Good luck.

I have a similar problem, and I think it is an electrical problem/short for the most part. As far as I know it is a common problem with Honda's. Although I have been racking my mind trying to figure out what it is, as it is annoying.

its an electricl problem...i read about it on honda-tech somewhere, something about a connection that needs to be resoldered. it is common in all civics of this age....i'll try to find it tonight

Your right massey. It is annoying as hell. Why are leaning electrical? My first inclination was the same as yours. It almost sounds like (speking in terms of GM cars here) the control module in the distributor is breaking down when hot not allowing a restart soon after shtting it off. The only problem with this theory is why isn't it shutting off while driving??? And like I said above about the MAF sensor, I dont even know if Honda uses anything like control module in it's distributor LOL

Thanks spectacle...when you say "honda-tech" is that another forum? Anyway, thanks alot, man. I really appreciate yours and everyone elses help. It would really suck for my son to see his old man scratching his head while trying to help him fix it. Especially after all he's seen me do to our other cars...LOL How embarrasing.... :D

Maybe its moisture in the dist. cap and it recondences on the electrodes when it cools down? But it seems like it would have worked its way out by now. but its just something easy you could check.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 7 2004, 06:20 PM
Good find! That's great info spectacle. :thumbsup: Hopefully it's the solution to his problem.
[post=387031]Quoted post[/post]​

Ditto on the good find, thats a great write up and I'll definitly share it with a buddy who also has the same problem

Thanks a bunch spectacle!! I know what we'll be doing tonight! Great find and thanks again! You've saved my "hero" status with the family LOL :worthy:

Originally posted by LordVader@Sep 7 2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks a bunch spectacle!! I know what we'll be doing tonight! Great find and thanks again! You've saved my "hero" status with the family LOL :worthy:
[post=387043]Quoted post[/post]​

Glad to be of service...just let us know if it works

I have the same thing once in a while. Except that I have had the same motor in two different cars, and it has done it in both. It goes away after a minute, so I don't bother tracking it down.

I had that same problem but i fixed it. My engine coolant temperature sensor went bad. And my frind with his crx had it happen to him also and it was a bad main relay. Just a few thoughts.

Thanks again to everyone! I didn't have a chance to mess with it too much last night but I did remove the relay and took it apart as per the instructions. I wasn't able to really spend too much time checking it out but I did not initially see what the author described as a "dry joint" I'll check it out again tonight and let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

What about the starter getting hot ? If the starter gets hot and expands, the thing can't turn !!! That would be my hunch...

Originally posted by randerson165@Sep 8 2004, 11:31 AM
What about the starter getting hot ? If the starter gets hot and expands, the thing can't turn !!! That would be my hunch...
[post=387421]Quoted post[/post]​

It turns over just fine...the problem is that it won't start. The condition is as described in the article spectacle linked above...

Thanks anyway!

Originally posted by randerson165@Sep 8 2004, 10:31 AM
[post=387421]Quoted post[/post]​

Wha? That's a TON of expansion... I seriously doubt that would happen.

Back