problem with the 2nd gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

all the gears are mest up now they are hard to shift into even like when standing and to get into first gear is a pain. Could it be the clutch or what?

so is it hard to get the car into gear when you are stopped? if so it could be a few things.

1. clear the gates, move the shifter from left to right a few times rather harsly. try again

if that doesnt work

2. put the car in reverse and roll a few inches.

if that doesnt work

3. work the clutch pedal a few times

if that doesnt work

you pressure plate is probably getting hooked up on the input shaft and is not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. mine does this sometimes. it will work it self out after a while.

I have a cable clutch ... when i had this problem i found that it was because my clutch cable wasnt tight enough where it connects to the tranny ... maybe?

Not knowing when your gears grind its time for a new one or a rebuild it like a FAT KID saying (I LIKE EGGS) .... this made absolutey no sence right thats what this post is

Has the Tranny ever leaked, FLUID change wont do jack but put your good use of money into someone's pocket....Your transmission is GONE....get a new one or like what everyone else said a rebuild....My point of saying this part here is because i think its an better idea....If you like the car and its worth it throw a few more hundred bucks into buying a better engine for it....I've lost my chance on buying a LS motor and bought a dumb DX tranny.....tranny was $213 bucks and the LS motor was $450...
SOOO OOPSS.....:eek: People make a terrible mistake sometimes...GOODLUCK

reservoir ?? wtf are you talking about here. There are no reservoirs for the transmission. Unless you have a hydraulic clutch. In which you don't have a cable . Your prob could be the master or slave Cly. If you have no fluid in the small little reservoir located on the driver side firewall. Then you have a leak from somewhere. Which it could be the master or slave cly. The fluid type is just DOT 3 brake fluid.

Last edited:
if you dont beat on it does it go in easily?if it does then you have the same problem my friend had on his supercharged cobalt and ill ask him wat it was

my clutch master cylinder reservoir did not have fluid in it so i put some in and all the gears are back to normal, except the second gear!

2nd gear could be shot in your tranny.....looks like time to replace your gears in your tranny...possible rebuild?

Most likely.. if it's only one gear it sounds like a bad synchro in the transmission. It would actually be a lot cheaper to buy a used replacement trans in his case, though.

You might want to try running some GM synchromesh fluid in your trans and see if it helps the grind out for awhile. If it's not really bad you can probably get by with that trans for quite some time before it stops shifting into 2nd.

Back