problems spraying clear coat...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

Okay So i just spray'ed my gas tank (croch rocket) and basicly when i sprayed it, the clear coat either was runny...or it was all spotted and shit.

what is up with that

i sprayed somewhat of a long pattern and did 2 coats pretty much

nathan

What do you mean by spotted? Orange peel like? Air bubbles that popped?

i sprayed somewhat of a long pattern and did 2 coats pretty much

This just kinda says it all. You need to run the full length of each panel. When you do a coat, it's done. You need to wait the correct amount of time before the second, third, fourth coats. The paint has to "flash", which is probably 10-20 minutes, depending on the paint and conditions during spray.

Clear coat is very forgiving if done right. Even if you make a run, or spray too lightly, it can usually be fixed with sandpaper and buffing. However, this only applies if the paintjob is sound, and enough material is there to work with.

With more info, we can give more specific advice. For right now, it sounds like you need to adjust your gun, and practice.

by a "long pattern" I mean it was vertically a wide spray pattern.

and it looks like a bunch of air bubbles that popped.

or it looks liek there is shit in there like speckles and shit or dirt almost...but the surface was super clean

nathan

to thick of a coat at to low of a pressure, did you check the pattern on paper and what are you spray and mixing?

sounds to me like you have a dust problem, toherwise than that its rob either fisheyes or solvent pop

Originally posted by driver1@Jul 6 2004, 07:03 PM
sounds to me like you have a dust problem, toherwise than that its rob either fisheyes or solvent pop

It sounds like solvent pop or there is a lot of dirt/dust on the surface. I would wet sand it and try spraying it again allowing 10-15 minutes inbetween coats and using a tack cloth to remove any lint/dust/dirt.

I just painted my hood and this is what it looks like

for a real primer, and a rattle can base coat, and then a real clear coat I think it came out nice. except for the fucked up clear coat.

532608_44_full.jpg

532608_56_full.jpg

532608_62_full.jpg

532608_63_full.jpg

nathan

i did this with rattlecan primer, base, and clearcoat. :shrug2:

you dont need fancy schmancy paint guns. B)

119-1935_IMG.JPG

Back