Proud New CRX owner

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Claysion

I just bought myself a 1990 CRX hf. Yes i know the hf has one of the wimpiest motors in exietence but ive been looking for a stock CRX to upgrade and this one came along for 300 dollars. 300 dollars for a CRX that runs and passes inspection is a gift from heaven if you ask me, but where should i start? Im looking for the max power i can get with a price range of about 9,000 dollars over the next 3 months. I have the know how to do almost any work to this car (including body work), but is it worth keeping the hf engine, if not what should i put in? What could i do for some quick Hp to get me around for now without wasting to much $?

cheapest temporary go fast goodies would be a DIY turbo setup with junkyard parts...
adapter plate using your hf manifold to mate a eclipse t25 to it... cheapo intercooler from junkyard, dsm blow off valve, you would need to buy an fmu, approx 100 bucks, and then get 3 inch pvc turbing, elbows, and the silicone fittings to mate all the tubing up, and then you would just need a down pipe...

is the HF DPFI? or MPFI? i believe it is DP so you would need that fuel injection conversion to get enough fuel for the turbo...
you will need to do the fuel conversion in the future anyway for any swap, so you'll need the intake manifold complete with injectors and such
there are write ups everywhere on the DPFI to MPFI conversion

another option would be a mini-me head swap which is good for approx 125 horse, some say 130 hp even... SOHC vtec head on your block, and great rod to stroke ratio so you can wind it to 8K rpm and it'll still make power...

or the all motor HF, write up is in the forums, general articles section, HF all motor build

these are all "just for now" ideas...
in the future, you can pretty much do whatever you want with $9K
you can go b18c1 swap = $3K for 170hp, b18c5 for 200 hp swap = $4.5K, h22 for cheaper 200 hp and more torque swap = $2.3K, but more weight as well, b18b ls motor for 140 horse swap = under $2K

well i dont have to pay for any labor either. so i can really stretch the 9k

Well, since this is in the Body/Exterior/Interior/Cosmetics section, I think you should get a body kit for the CRX. I really like the plain one that wings west makes. Take a look at it.

Wings West Body Kit for CRX

That is the same place I got my body kit and they shipped it in decent time, and they have good prices. You could find some cheaper body kits that are the same design, but they are usually fiberglass and fiberglass breaks easy. The wings west ones are urethane and can withstand a lot of torture.

Urethane > Fiberglass

Now if you want info on your motor, post up a topic in the swap section. :)

thanks for the info, it is dp fuel injection and i have done a dp to mp switch in the past so that shouldnt be a problem

sorry about the category mix up, this is my first honda, and my first time posting so please have some patience as i get used to things.

Originally posted by Claysion@May 4 2004, 03:02 PM
thanks for the info, it is dp fuel injection and i have done a dp to mp switch in the past so that shouldnt be a problem

The HF should be mpfi.

$9k??

anything u want..i could ill on 9k

good luck with it mannn :thumbsup:

I would say that wings west kit, that mo fo is sick, and a B18 swap, you should have more than enough. With that B18 I see a mid 13 second 1/4 mile, should be fast enough for now. You could probably afford some bolt-ons too.

The HF is MPFI. So you don't have to do a conversion. It all depends on what you want.

AutoX: All motor b16 sir 1, or Type R motor with some really nice suspension, light rims, and VERY good tires. ~$9000

Drag: Do a b20z with a b16 sir 1 head. Boost it with a homemade turbo and tune with hondata. And if you can afford it some slicks or street slicks. ~$9000

With the b16 and CRVTEC (b20 build) you won't need to convert to OBD2 like you will with the Type R motor....not that thats a big deal, but just food for thought.

whats up Pyro? The mini me head swap is good with a 60+ hp increase for the cost of the head and wiring. You could turbo that to about 160-170 and have plenty of money to do the body work and other various problems that come with a $300 car. If the motor's in bad shape (leaking from crank pulley/burning oil) a B16 swap would fit you nicely. You'd have to buy mounts, shift linkage, transmission, axels, ecu, wire for vtec and any miscelaneous parts. Realistically it'll cost around 2500-3000. To give you an idea, it's about the same as my swap (ZC) except the engine costs around 1000 more plus mounts and linkage. BTW I have an extra K&N conical air filter that we can put on later today (weds.)
~timE

if you have 9 thousand you should blow up thr hf motor on purpose, then get a b series motor and go turbo then you will still have enough for a ww body kit, full suspension, racing seats if you get tenzo and some rims , I personally like rotas .

Don't even bother with mini-me or zc swap, go for b-series fa sho...

Spend $3000 on the b18c1 and you have 170hp
HMT = $2000 w/ zdyne = 250-300hp atleast

stiffen up the suspension, body kit, various body work = $1000

nice rims / tires = $1200

various rice shit = $few hundred

then you can get some seats and other stuff.

peace

ps. I wish I had $9000 to drop on a hf..

with 250ish hp that'll easily be a 13second car...prolly 12s.

nathan

dang with 9000 dollars i could build 2 crx s.

for now put a 200 shot of nitrous on the hf and see what happens at the 1/4. like when it blows and how fast it was running.

when you get serioud you should build a b18c1 in your garage, cams, pistons, rods, sleeves, lsd, plus the nitroud kit you have had already bought then drop it in. (instead of converting to obd2 go obd1 for its ability to be tuned easier)

then pimp that motor and a get a wide body kit, rims, seats, and suspension upgrades.

next send your ecu to zdyne (takes about a week) and let then them modify it and ready it for turbo and obd 1 if you decide to go that way. ($900)

towards the end of you build fabricate a tubular manifold desinged for 2. build your own twin turbo system supported by the zdyne ecu.

there is no telling how fast it would run just think b18 vtec twin turbo nitruos in an hf (designed by honda to be excellent on mpg by making it even lighter than than the si)

OOOORRRRR

buy two ls motor put one in the hatchery and one in the engine bay and be all wheel drive. it may be not as fast, but just think of how cool it would be!!!! all wheel drive crx.

what ever you do good luck!!!

i just rebuild a d16a6 block, z6 head into my 89 HF, havent got it runnin right all the way yet, but without vtec hooked up i pulled on an 00 SI, so im in mid to high 15's right now, only costed 400, coudlnt imagine what i could do with 9k, hell be different build a ZC motor and turbo it, i seen a stock ZC turbo at 9lb on slicks run 13 flat and he spend like 1200 into the whole thing... so if u built it and u could turbo it to like 20lbs and run 11's or 10's for like 4k or so. then u will have 5k for the body and interior

Back