Pulling axles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
So I am starting to pull the engine on the GSR I bought. So far, I have everything disconnect, and all I have left is to remove the shift linkage (kinda did a temp. solution there, not sure if it will work 100%.) and the driverside axle and half shaft.

I took everything that the helms said to, and then it says just to tap the inner support joint with a hammer, and it should come right out. If only it was that easy. So that did not work, so i found something that i could use as a prybar (its a pretty big space, with not much to use as a fulcrom) and tryed to seperate it that way. So I pull and tug, and it won't even move. The only movement that I can see is that the bearing in the half shaft is moving with the axle.

Is there a trick that I am missing?

I had the same problem, unbolt the halfshaft and take it out as if it were one part. Then try to seperate the too.

The bitch is usually getting the axle nut "32mm" off, I have broken plenty of craftsman breaker bars with that damn nut.

Honestly you just have to work the axle off, they honestly get just pulled out.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Nov 24 2003, 11:41 PM
The bitch is usually getting the axle nut "32mm" off, I have broken plenty of craftsman breaker bars with that damn nut.

Honestly you just have to work the axle off, they honestly get just pulled out.

pulling the nut was the easy part. I steped on the brakes when my freind took the bolt off with half of the jack lever and a 1/2 inch breaker bar. It came off with almost no trouble.

3/4 breaker bar and a three foot pipe or the axle nuts, and a rubber mallet and a vise for really pisky axle halfshaft seperations.

I have always and I mean always had trouble with the 32mm axle nut, soemtimes I couldn't even get it off with my weight on a pipe that is on a breaker bar...

just giving the kid a heads up.

the only problem I had gettin the nuts off was when i got my swap, they gave me EVERYthing. And after I pulled all the suspension parts off and the whole steering system, the only thing left that wouldn't and still won't come apart is the axles on the hubs.

I had to use a big brass rod like a "chisel" (sp?) and a 3lb hammer. It took 10 min of swinging that hammer to drive the axle out of the hub. Went to the other side and the hub pulled off without any effort at all. :shrug2:

Good luck! :D

use a plastic hammer and hit and pull at the same time at the end of the axle and before the halfshaft bearing. it will come out.

Alright, a little follow up. To get the axle out of the hub, buy a hub remover. This tool bolts onto the spindle using lug nuts then has a threaded bar in the middle. Center it, then start cranking it down. After a little bit, it will press the axle out. I tryed and tryed on one side, finally bought the tool, and in about 45 seconds, it was out.

As for seperating the axle from the half shat, use calesta's method. Once it is out of the vechile, put a monkey wrench inbetween the axle and the halfshaft. In about 2 swift kicks, It should seperate. Worked great for me.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Nov 25 2003, 02:40 PM
I have always and I mean always had trouble with the 32mm axle nut, soemtimes I couldn't even get it off with my weight on a pipe that is on a breaker bar...

just giving the kid a heads up.

those nuts piss me off..i had to use a cuttin wheel a few times...but i found this 18 foot pole on the side of my house my dad had left over from the fence...boy do i get some nasty torque with that fucker

Back