Question about h22a and b20b swaps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XxDamien85xX

How hard are they and what one is better over the other? and what is needed for both. on a 89 honda prelude si automatic

A different car, for real. Sell the Lude and get a '92-'95 Civic with a 5 speed transmission. Then swap in something from the B-series.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Jan 4 2005, 04:30 AM
A different car, for real. Sell the Lude and get a '92-'95 Civic with a 5 speed transmission. Then swap in something from the B-series.
[post=440855]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly, unless you get an EX or SI and feel like turbocharging the d16z6. If you want to go b-series though get a b18c1/5 to start with, or get yourself a complete B16 swap and look for a B18 block to swap in for some torque.

what is it about the those ludes..is it the mounting points or the room that inhibits a swap in the engine bay

on 89 prelude a h22 would not be bad but the thing is you wasting your time is to heavy and your not going anywere, unless you do turbo with like 40 pounds of boost wich is to much $$ ill rather do 87 crx with gsr turbo with like 20 pounds difrent storie i hope u understand me =]

Depends on what you want. the 3rd gen preludes are lighter than the 4th and 5th gens but they aren't as light as the before mentioned crx and civics. i know a guy that swapped a h22 in a 3rd gen lude and it was quick. i think he spent about 5 grand to do it cuz i think they had to convert it to manuel like you want to do. also requires new mounts and shit but i'm not sure all the technical shit. again it just depends what car you want and how fast you want to be and how much you want to spend.

Well i was more leaning to keep it automatic... well for starters i dont know how to drive a manual right yet. and i realy dont want to buy a different car. kinda fond of my car. so i wanna keep it... just change the heck out of everything.

If you're not going to swap it to manual, its not really worth the effort to swap at all in IMHO. Honda doesn't make performance based automatic trannies and you're never going to be able to use your swap to its full potential with an auto. You should learn to drive a stick, its quite easy, my GF picked it up in a day. I'm sure that someone you konw has a manual car and they will be willing to teach you to drive with a little persuation.

Well i was more leaning to keep it automatic... well for starters i dont know how to drive a manual right yet. and i realy dont want to buy a different car. kinda fond of my car. so i wanna keep it... just change the heck out of everything.

hmm, not even sure where to begin with you

go to hasport and see if they make the mounts, and then come back here and read and READ some more...

this is way too broad of a question to even try to help you
the B series in your lude is a bastard motor and i don;t think anything will swap in there will incredible ease...

maybe you'd be better off just rebuilding your stock motor...
get it back to brand new performance and hopefully it doesn;t tank the shit out of your junk auto tranny...

also be wary of rust before you dump a lot of money into this car...

edit
is to heavy and your not going anywere, unless you do turbo with like 40 pounds of boost wich is to much $$ ill rather do 87 crx with gsr turbo with like 20 pounds

wtf are you talking about? these were semi quick in stock form... 40 pounds of boost on an h22 would rip the front end off this car...
fuck, a STOCK h22 even makes a heavy ass 93 accord FULLY loaded with leather and 18's quick

edit2
what is it about the those ludes..is it the mounting points or the room that inhibits a swap in the engine bay

i believe its cause this b series is a lot diffrent from newer b series so nothing goes in too easily, and there is a lack of aftermarket support

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Jan 4 2005, 01:46 PM
H22's aren't that quick and it doesn't take much boost to crack the stock ringlands.
[post=440980]Quoted post[/post]​

my firend has a del sol with an h22 and ran a 13.7(i think maybe like 13.8, but it runs 13's consistantly) with bolt ons while on street tires

BTW: nice numbers in your singature, ive been thinking about boosting my d16. that or get an h22 and go all motor.

and i also agree that is doesnt take much boost to break an h22

Okay oh hasport they don thave anything for the prelude... what would i use to look for my car then?

if hasport doesn;t make a mount kit then you're more than likely fucked...

that means that to install a motor you're looking at all custom fabrication unless you can find some other mount kit maker that supports your old ugly piece of shit...

upgrade with a newer car and learn to drive like a man...

until then, stop wasting your time with pipe dreams about a hot old prelude...

or just refresh your motor and hope your auto POS tranny holds up...

and note to YOU: mashing the gas and then mashing the brake is NOT driving... get a fucking golf cart...

Turbocharged 95 Civic w/stock D16Z6 - 230whp/208wtq

perhaps h22 won;t hold a candle to your turbo setup, but match customification from your d series to the h22 and it'll eat you...

for a stock honda motor the h22 is one of the quicker ones, and its got pretty good torque, for a honda anyway

the H series motors suck....ever since K series came out.... they are lighter and produce more power.... i cant wait to build a k Frankenstine motor....

hmmm
lets see here

k20A
220 hp
158tq
11.5:1 comp

h22
200 hp
161 tq
10.6:1 comp

yea, you keep telling yourself that h series suck

but for those of us not building on mommy and daddy's dime, i think the H series does well enough for the price...

Thanks recked.

I'm pretty used to people bashing the H-series, but for the life of me, I could never understand why. Putting the price comparison in there was a nice touch, too.

hey, i'm running an h22 in my 95 teg so i'm used to the smack talk

why didn;t you go with a type r, or why not a gsr...

you can;t beat the price for the h22 and any asshole can go buy a teg with a type r or gsr...

plus i'm a big fan of the torque factor which the h series wins hands down, and larger displacement makes me smile too...

the h23's suck balls from my experience though, the bottom ends do not hold up to a beating very well... but i have yet to see an h22 let loose or even start to act up, so... so far so good... but only time will tell if we've made the right decisions...

my friend has a 93 accord with the h22 and he's happy with it...
its no drag or street racer, but accords aren;t exactly the racers choice for chassis weight either...
but i sure do love riding in that accord... vtec sounds lovely and pulls hard...

edit: why didn't you put your accord back together? doesn;t seem like it was hit that hard?

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 4 2005, 02:37 PM
hey, i'm running an h22 in my 95 teg so i'm used to the smack talk

why didn;t you go with a type r, or why not a gsr...

you can;t beat the price for the h22 and any asshole can go buy a teg with a type r or gsr...

plus i'm a big fan of the torque factor which the h series wins hands down, and larger displacement makes me smile too...

the h23's suck balls from my experience though, the bottom ends do not hold up to a beating very well... but i have yet to see an h22 let loose or even start to act up, so... so far so good... but only time will tell if we've made the right decisions...

my friend has a 93 accord with the h22 and he's happy with it...
its no drag or street racer, but accords aren;t exactly the racers choice for chassis weight either...
but i sure do love riding in that accord... vtec sounds lovely and pulls hard...

edit: why didn't you put your accord back together? doesn;t seem like it was hit that hard?
[post=441045]Quoted post[/post]​

I ended up selling it to someone else on the board (HONDAPITSTOP), and he fixed it up and is running it up in Oregon.

I knew for awhile that I wanted a WRX, so this seemed like a good excuse to get one. I got a decent amount from the insurance company for the car, and made a little more money by selling it to HONDAPITSTOP. Plus, I couldn't afford all of the downtime that I would've had while fixing the car.

I definitely miss the Accord...VTEC, styling (Subaru's are still kinda ugly IMO), but you really can't go wrong with turbo AWD. :)

Back