Question about my wireless router - does not work!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
Last night as I was on my way home from work the wifey called and told me she couldn't get on the internet at home to work on some stuff to apply for her masters degree. When I got home I pulled the router out from behind the TV cabinet where we keep it and I noticed that it was cycling on and off. I would get a green light for the power and a solid green light for the wireless but nothing for internet or for connection. After a minute or two it would shut off - turn back on and start the process over again. I have AT&T data only DSL and never had an issue until this point. I tried to power cycle the router and restart the computer but after that happened I can't even get the router to turn on now.

Here is what I want to know

Can I just go to best buy and get a new wireless router assuming that is what is wrong and just hook it up where my old one was and have it work?

Could a problem with the line cause the router to not even power on?

To me it looks like it is a shot router that needs replacing but I don't know a ton about this stuff. I need to get the internet working by tonight so if anyone can shed some light or offer advice I would appreciate it greatly.

-chester

I had this same problem. Just waited a few hours and it came back on. If any thing just contact your service provider

dont think it'll make a difference.. w/ ATT you have to buy your own equipment..

as far as brands.. cant go wrong w/ Linksys or D-Link.. Netgears are ok too

It is/was a combination unit. I stopped at BB on the way home and picked up a new one and no worries I am back online. thanks for all the help!

I'd just get a new router, it sounds like the power port is getting too hot/old and its just shutting itself off.

I bet if you try to use it 2-3 years down the road it'll work for a while just fine then end up doing the same thing.

Back