Question on wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustninty20

I have a 92 dx hatch D15B7 auto tranny and I'm in the process of converting to D15 vtece manual. The interior harness that mounts on the shock towers looks like its already wired up for VTEC but what harness will work? Do I have to get a D15 vtece harness only? Also I noticed on the manual pedals I got there is two sensors on the clutch pedal and I did not see any hookups under the dash for them, what do I do with those? Thanks

i know one of them is for the safety switch. is use for starting your car up with the clutch petal depress. your auto chassis harness dont have it, but i dont think you really need it, just make sure your car is not in gear when starting up.

you can use any engine harness you want fron a 92-95 civic, and just add the wires for vtec. OR use a civic si or ex engine harness and it will already have wires for vtec.
as for the clutch switches, 1 lets the car know when the clutch is all the way down, it is for starting like dc2 said,
the other one is used by the cruise control and the ecu to tell pedal position, that switch senses if the pedal has been pressed even a little bit, to turn off cruise or whatever else it does.
I wouldn't worry about them, just do like dc2 said and make sure the car is in neutral if you start without pressing the clutch.

Thanks for the info guys. The car does not even have cruise and I would rather not have a neutral safety switch because of remote start anyways so that works out sweet.

You will also need to wire the EGR control box that mounts on the firewall. For the vtec-e motors there is a fourth connector on the passenger strut tower that is used for wiring up the 5 wire O2 sensor and a few others. So, you will need to wire a few things in. I am doing this same conversion on a 95 DX. This site has a ton of great info for the swap.

B18C5EG.com - swaps into an VX

So do you think to make this a lot easier I should be out there looking for a vtec e harness? I was planning to use a stock VX harness i came across.

The VX is the only model that has the vtec e, so if you have a stock VX harness, you have exactly what you need. You will just have to run some wires from the passenger strut tower to the ecu. The VX has four connectors on the strut tower to the ecu, all the other models do not. The pictures on the link I posted show what I am talking about.

Back