quick question about setting ingnition timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
do you have to/are you supposed to reset your ecu after you set your ignition timing?

okay now i have a different question, do you think that by installing my aem adjustable cam gear i could have screwed up the cam timing and that is what is messing up my idle?

i mean at 0 deg advance my car idles like poop on a stick, so i have been messing with my ignition timing and my cam timing trying to fix it, i have advanced the cam gear as much as 2 dash marks which aem says is 4 deg of crank rotation and i have also advanced my ignition timing to what i think is 14 deg btdc and this is where my car is running the best but it still wont idle for crap. so my question is should i try and advance my cam gear more or do you think i may damage my valves?

i bet your timing belt is 1 tooth off on the cam gears. put the crank to TDC and check the pulleys again.

i think it is too, but how many degrees would that correlate to? i think its off to the retarded side. could a bad belt tensioner cause a crummy idle?

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 12 2004, 10:41 PM
i think it is too, but how many degrees would that correlate to? i think its off to the retarded side. could a bad belt tensioner cause a crummy idle?

Don't set it by adjusting the cam gear. Set the gear back at 0 and then static time it from there.

okay, this is such a stupid problem to have. <_<

i feel dumb. :huh:

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 12 2004, 10:50 PM
okay, this is such a stupid problem to have. <_<

i feel dumb. :huh:

Don't even worry, I couldn't get my motor started when I first did it for about three hours, finally I called stateside, and had a guy troubleshoot it over the phone, wound up the timing was somehow 90 degrees out. I didn't even look because I hadn't removed the timing belt.

okay, when i get off work i am going to redo the timing belt just to make sure.

thanks for the help, and encouragement.

i'm sure i will be back. :p

1 tooth off my car would only run with the gas pedal to the floor, pouring black smoke out the exhaust. Thats when my timing belt jumped a tooth while driving on a highway.
i belive 1 tooth is like 14 degrees off.

One tooth will fuck you up good. You will see a realy lack of power. Make sure your crank is at TDC as is your cam then go from there only way to get it right. I fucked up my ZC when i first put it in ran like shit off by 2 teeth. Good luck

Back