Ready to Wire the VTEC (Prelude H23 ->H22)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hillmw

the commish (h23 to h22)
I am ready to wire the vtec from my 93 Prelude H23 -> H22 swap.

I haven't seen a conclusive article on doing this for the Prelude so I thought I'd start a new thread.

If there is one please post the link so we don't have to re-create the wheel.

I have 3 connectors to wire up on the H22 engine. I'm going to take a pics of a) those connectors
, 2) my ecu and harness ends, and 3) where it looks like I'll need to route my wires.

Reik, that link is for an article for a Civic and the pics are lost.

Here are the pics for the vtec in my H22.

vtec_wires.gif

Here is the other "mystery" sensor not covered by my H23 Harness (or so I thought):

other_sensor.gif

Here is my H22 ECU that has a slot for wires, but is not covered by my harness and of course I am wondering what wires go where!
ecu_vtec.gif

Here is the area under the dash where the wires should come from. Is this correct?
wire_entry.gif

Here is the area under my hood where I guess I should push the wires past. I'm thinking I'll have to take that fuse box out!

Last edited:
okay man, the wiring is the same for the civic and prelude...you just have fewer wires (pressure switch and solenoid). that article works and the big white picture is the only one you need.

I never had good luck going past the fuse box. Too tight for the wires, or unseen obstructions. I usually go through a pop out plug(plastic or rubber on firewall down low, or make a new hole and use a rubber grommet.

Ok, I'm going for that A4 and D6 position. I'm going to use 2 of those C position pins on it.

btw, whats up with that other sensor I am showing with the black/white connector wires. I have a connector plugged into the IAC valve. Do you think the IAC needs to be wired and I am using the connector to this valve in the IAC?

OK, I wired the VTEC. Code 21 went away I just have 36 left.

This is how I did it.

I removed the fuse box under the hood and it exposed a hole. Then there was a horn and 1 of the wires was broken, so I cut the other off and attached a red wire to it. See the tape around the wires ready to be pulled through?

vtec_wire_1.gif

I went inside the car and pulled it out as follows:
vtec_wire_2.gif

I took the old C connector and pulled out a couple wires. You'll have to get a special tool (pin extractor - Fry's or Radio Shack) to get the pin/wire out. Pull the ears back where the arrows are to fold over the connector side so you can pull the pin out.
vtec_wire_4.gif

I also pulled an expandable sleeving down to protect the wires from damage. I soldered them and stuck them in. Here is the result:
vtec_wire_3.gif

I did the same on the engine side. Soldering the ends installing them and cool .... no code 21 !!!!

Reik / Tab ... thanks alot I appreciate your help.

Any idea about code 36?

Last edited:
Are you guessing or have you had code 36 before and found out it was the knock sensor?

Last edited:
the h23 has a knock sensor, no need to rewire for a new one.

36 is a code for the jdm traction control. im not sure if there is a way to disable that.

Well I'll have to ck it and see if it is wired. I know I have a wire under the intake manifold that is not hooked up. The connector has like a probe sticking from it, like it penetrates into some sensor.

that is weird. i know i didnt have to wire one on mine...then again, i never did get the knock sensor code fixed, so i might have just been using the wrong plug, ya never know. A p28 solved the KS problem, so i really dont mind.

Do you know what sensor that is with the black and white leads coming from it in the pic above?

that, my friend, is the jdm mystery sensor. it is not required to run. if i remember right, you can just remove the sensor and plug the vacuum straight into the manifold where it intercepted it.

Well guess what I found out tonight. I put the car on a lift and saw a connector underneath the intake that was not connected. In fact it went to a sensor just under the intake and above the oil filter. Then the connector I took from there connected to my "mystery sendor" that i showed above.

No more check engine light!!! No code 36.

It runs ok, but I just dont think its timed correctly. Read my new post about that. I think it should run better than that. After all its 200 hp.

yea, thats why h22's are nothing but hype(stock).

until you tune it, you wont feel its full power.

Back