Removal of a rounded bolt?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

utn

Can someone advise me on how to remove a rounded off bolt, its the 17mm bolt that is on the transmission fluid hole, I need to add more fluid because of a leak, so the sooner someone can help me the better.

Thanks,
Scott

File the bolt head down to the next smaller size. In other words, make some fresh new sides to that bolt head. You goal is to use a 16mm socket on it.

Get a cut off wheel and slot it so you can turn it with a flathead screwdriver. Or you could get a rounded nut extractor

Originally posted by utn@Nov 19 2004, 09:29 PM
Can someone advise me on how to remove a rounded off bolt, its the 17mm bolt that is on the transmission fluid hole, I need to add more fluid because of a leak, so the sooner someone can help me the better.

Thanks,
Scott
[post=419464]Quoted post[/post]​

I Bought this Kit..... ....It's called BOLT-GRIP fastener remover kit.....I bought Mines at Home Depot, but you can also get it @ any parts store i beleive.....
It works!......It'll take that bolt right out with no problem....

Look Here.....
163815_3.jpg

Thats The one I bought...

I haved used this method when removing an IM nut and an axle nut. Get a chisle or something sharp and hammer a notch into the side of the head of the bolt. Then get a flat head screw driver and put the tip of it into the notch at an angle so that when you hit it, it will twist the bolt.

My favorite tool for this is a special Channel Lock Plier with rounded jaws that "cam into the fastener. It grabs so tight that it will twist off a bolt before letting go. I bought mine off the tool truck (MATCO). Havn't seen them else where.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll try the file method first, if that doesnt work then I'll try the others.

Thanks again for the quick responses.
-Scott

id use some big vise grips and clamp the down on it with some even biger channel locks and hit it with a hammer...ive done that many time

ahhh thats the word ...

was thinking of the American term , which is vice grips .. just couldn't remember it ...
we call them gator grips in Australia, and thank goodness for that red squiggly line ... cause i can not spell worth a rats ass ...

take a big @ss pair of vice grips to it , thats ALWAYS worked for me , and if you can not get them in there or position , i suggest you find a way to make them fit , cause they will definitely fix your problem ...

Ive used the bolt grip kit from vise grips and it is amazing. It may take a few hits to get the socket to bite into the bolt (or lugnut was my case) but once it does, it will take the bolt right off.

if you can fit one in there a pipe wrench works well for this too. Cuz the harder you twist a pipe wrench the harder it bites down.

Rounded Bolts

Have you ever tried Grip-Tite Super Sockets?
I think you will be surprised at how well they work on rounded bolts, rusted nuts, etc.

yea except this tread is really old,and all the tranny luid holes ive seen just use a ratchet with no socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back