Replace Antenna? OMG!! This Can't Be That Hard...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GQMarques

GQMarquesâ„¢
Ladies and gents... I have a 95 civic ex coupe. Easiest friggin' car in the US to steal. My car stereo was stolen three times since I bought it and this last time the person was in such a rush that they ripped the antenna wire with the radio. <Idiot> ... anyways, I've been searching all over the net trying to find out how to replace it. No luck. I can't be the only person that's had to do this...

Ok, so I bought the replacement. I unscrewed the original from top of my car and tried to pull it out. I thought it would come right out but just my luck it's completely stuck. is there something clamping it down in between fender or side panel? The replacement antenna doesn't show anywhere it would catch. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Marcus

The best way to replace the antenna is to cut the old one at the top of the roof, attach the new antenna to the cord of the old one, then carefully push/pull it into the passenger compartment.

I always paid the local stereo installers to replace my antennas (I HATE doing them), and on the last car (an 88 Civic) I ordered the block off cap from Honda and installed a windshield mounted powered antenna.

There are little clips that hold the wire in place and keep it from rattling. Look in the drivers kick panel, It isn't clipped inside the A pillar, but you'll want to cut the old wire off of the old antenna and use it to feed the new wire. It goes from the top of the car, through the a pillar, under the kick panel, then up and over into the dash. You only have to get it free between the Antenna and the kick panel, then you're gold. Cut the rest of it out however you can.

err.. what calesta said ;P

:)

The really hard part is getting it through from behind the metal in the kick panel to the passenger compartment. That's why I gave up on Katie's car and just sealed it off, then ordered/installed the windshield antenna. It looks so much cleaner too.

ok so i'm tugging at the antenna from the roof to find out where the tension is on the wire and it pops off. the antenna is out but the wire that is clamped down is still stuck. does anyone know where to locate those clamps? I can't even see the antenna wire from under the dash never the less find where its being held.

Whew! mission accomplished!!! It was a pain in the ass and took me about 4 hrs all together to get the job done. For anyone attempting to do this... get a pro to do it because it for all the frusteration this project created... i'd much rather pay someone to get it done in half the time. Thanks again to all those that lended me their info. I'm yet to be disappointed from this forum.

Marcus™

I'm glad you got it done! For my money though, it's better to pay the extra $5 over the price of the antenna to get someone to install it instead of me screwing around with it for hours.

Back