replacing alpine stereo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

honda powered

Hey guys, I am trying to switch out a stereo in my 1990 accord ex. I just bought it last night and this guy was trying to tell me that they had a amplified stereo in some of them and he thought this was one of them. But, he already installed a aftermarket stereo so I never did get to see what radio did come in it. Does anyone know anything about these stereos because I hooked up my alpine deck in it and I get power and everything but no sound at all, not even dead air. If anyone could help me out lemme know, I have looked through a couple different forums and my chiltons manual and can't find anything on it.

check the radio, the internal amp could be off therefor producing no sound. its in the setup. i dont remember the term since mine is off and i am using the front and rear speaker RCAs.

no from what I am getting, the car had a factory upgraded radio from the factory and that there is an amplifier that goes to that, if that is true than I guess I am looking for a way to bypass it or if I am just gonna have to strip the whole thing, run my own wires, etc.

they didn't make an amplified system in a 90 accord afaik. you said there was an aftermarket in there when you got it, did you get sound out of that? if so were there rca wires behind the radio that you didn't connect? if this is the case that means someone put an aftermarket amp in there for the highs. you will need to find the amp turn on wire and connect the rcas to get sound out of the speakers. if there are no rcas they might have done high level inputs to the amp which means it would run off the factory speaker wires and again you would have to find the amp to either bypass it or utilize it.

normally when you go get the wiring harness they tell you. The harness has all the stuff for to make it plug and play.

Is the entire car being run off an amplifier? Aka. you have an Amp on your highs and lows along with your Subs? Alot of people install the Alpines wrong and use the FM antenna as the power wire vs. the actual Remote wire.

lol i did that once. although Alpine is funny sometimes. I had issues with when hooking mine the appropiate way. Not for the subs but to just get it to turn on with the key. After owning 2 of them i said fuk it. They look ok but i pretty much gave up on that brand. Eclipse is where its at.

I agree with you on the Eclipse. Thats my deck for the last 4 years.

100_4035.sized.jpg

Hey guys, I am trying to switch out a stereo in my 1990 accord ex. I just bought it last night and this guy was trying to tell me that they had a amplified stereo in some of them and he thought this was one of them. But, he already installed a aftermarket stereo so I never did get to see what radio did come in it. Does anyone know anything about these stereos because I hooked up my alpine deck in it and I get power and everything but no sound at all, not even dead air. If anyone could help me out lemme know, I have looked through a couple different forums and my chiltons manual and can't find anything on it.

what happened man?:huh:

Back